Motherboard Compatibility Acer Aspire XC-705.want to upgrade i3-4160 to i7-4790

Tasyo099
Tasyo099 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hello everyone, I have a Desktop "Acer Aspire XC-705. I have already upgraded my CPU cooler, Case, Fans, Storage, and Rams. My GPU is RTX 2060. I want to upgrade my CPU from i3-4160 to i7-4790. Is it possible and compatible with my motherboard? I need to upgrade my processor because I am experiencing some delays in some processes when working on some tasks.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer

Yes, the 4th generation i7-4790 (click link) should be fine. However, depending on the processes involved in your specific tasks, the speed improvement of the i7 vs i3 (click link) may not be quite as significant as, for example, adding more RAM or replacing an HDD with an SSD for disk-intensive processes.

Jack E/NJ

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon

you should see a nice improvement in multicore performance ( almost double ) , but single core is only about 10% faster . and as jack said an ssd and 16gb ram are essentials to try and get that bit extra out of the system . but the improvements may seem non existent to absolutely amazing depending on the app your using.

• Tasyo099

I already have 16gb ram and an SSD. The only thing behind is my processor. And also, I will use it for playing games. Thank you.

• JackE
    edited November 2023

As mentioned, the performance difference might not be as great as you might've noticed with the RAM & SSD upgrades. Especially video gaming performance which relies more on the discrete 2060 GPU than the CPU. Good luck, though! 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Tasyo099

Hi, I just want to ask a question because this is my first time upgrading a Processor. If I upgrade my processor from i3-4160 to i7-4790. Should I need to update my BIOS or should I leave it as it is?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,816 Trailblazer
  • JackE

Should I need to update my BIOS or should I leave it as it is?

No. Leave it alone.

Jack E/NJ