RAM upgrade for Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-53E5 laptop how much RAM can support?

dhrayo05
dhrayo05 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in Nitro Gaming

I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-53E5 laptop with an Intel Core i5-10300H processor and 8GB of DDR4 RAM. I want to upgrade the RAM to improve the performance of my laptop, but I am not sure how much RAM my laptop can support and what speed of RAM is compatible with it. According to the official specifications of my laptop, it has two memory slots and supports up to 32GB, but it does not say the frequency, in the intel webpage says the mainboard supports up to 64 of DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM memory. However, I have read some online forums that say that the laptop can only run the RAM at 2933MHz, even if the RAM is rated at 3200MHz. Is this true? If so, does it make any difference if I buy 3200MHz or 2933MHz RAM? Also, do I need to buy the same brand and model of RAM as the one that came with my laptop, or can I mix and match different brands and models? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so? Thank you for your help.

😥

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,288 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi @dhrayo05 i leave you the characteristics with the data that appears in the service manual:

32GB max. DDR4 2666/2933

If you install higher frequency memories, they will only work at the maximum that the board indicated above allows.
    To avoid problems, the characteristics of the new module must be exactly the same as the current one and if possible, although it is not essential, they must be from the same brand.
    You can ensure compatibility by purchasing from manufacturers that list compatible modules by model and brand such as Kingston and Crucial:

All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,288 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi @dhrayo05 i leave you the characteristics with the data that appears in the service manual:

32GB max. DDR4 2666/2933

If you install higher frequency memories, they will only work at the maximum that the board indicated above allows.
    To avoid problems, the characteristics of the new module must be exactly the same as the current one and if possible, although it is not essential, they must be from the same brand.
    You can ensure compatibility by purchasing from manufacturers that list compatible modules by model and brand such as Kingston and Crucial:

All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
  • poolsapk123
    poolsapk123 Member Posts: 2 New User

Your Acer Nitro 5 supports up to 32GB DDR4 RAM at a potential speed of 2933MHz. While it may accept 3200MHz RAM, it will run at the maximum supported speed. You can mix brands, but try to match capacity, speed, and timings for optimal performance. Adding more RAM should enhance multitasking and overall performance.

• dhrayo05
    dhrayo05 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, Alejandro. I want to thank you for your help with the issue of upgrading the RAM for my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-53E5. Your answer will be very helpful, detailed, and will save me a lot of time and effort. Thanks to you, I will be able to install the new RAM module without any trouble and I will know what the correct frequency is to buy in MHz. My laptop will run much better. You are a great contributor, and I wish you all the best😊

• Thank you and please comment on how the update goes when you complete it.

All the best.