VERY slow Acer TC-1760 desktop how a brand new desktop - and Acer too - can be so slow.

Mathmosman
Mathmosman Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I bought an Acer TC-1760 about six months ago, but have only just been able to start using it.

However, it's an inextricably SLOW machine. Our home WiFi is exceptionally fast, but pages take 10-20 seconds to load, applications take many minutes to open, it's even slow in keeping up with my typing. An engineer who was saving some images from our old PC said he had never encountered something slow, and suggested it may be the oddly partitioned memory.

My old PC, which was over fifteen years old, ran much faster.

I just don't understand how a brand new desktop - and Acer too - can be so slow.

Any and all advice is welcome!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Which TC-1760 did you get? Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like TC-1760-xxxx. How much memory is in it? What size and type of drive is in it? Which OS is it running? Are you still running the antivirus trial that came with it? There are so many different things that can cause a slow down, we need more details.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Look at your Task Manager as it shows the processes, memory usages etc.

Take a look at your Startup Apps while your in Task Manager.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,445 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023

If you have the Model: TC-1760 Part: DG.E31EK.001 that has the 12th Gen i5-12400F with 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (2x 8GB) ram and the integrated Intel ARC A380 graphics with the SATA III 2.5" HDD then this is a simple spec of this desktop that was available 6 months ago.

I don't know what your old desktop specs are but if its allot quicker than the Aspire TC-1760 it must be a top spec desktop, as you have to realize that the Aspire TC-1760 is a lower end mid-range prebuilt 12th Gen type rig that Acer has within its range and its not a gaming desktop.

With the internet, the TC-1760s has an M.2 WLAN/BT card that is NOT an AX WiFi6E type card as it has an AC - IEEE 802.11ac plus BT type chip and if you have an internet with WiFi6E AX capabilities then this desktops WLAN/BT card will deliver way slower speeds than what you are used to with the WiFi6E-AX WLAN speeds, which could be why you are experiencing slow speeds.

If you want to upgrade the TC-1760 desktop with a mid-upgrade budget, so that your desktop has a faster response and an internet, consider the following upgrades:

1. Optional - Upgrade to the 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-12700F Processor.
    2. Upgrade the ram to its max capacity of 64GB DDR4-3200MHz at 2x 32GB modules.
    3. Upgrade the internet speeds with fitting a WiFi6E PCIE Wi-Fi Card 2.4G/5.8G/6GHz Network Card Bluetooth-compatible (AX210) and putting this card into this desktop PCI Express x1 slot.
    4. Optional - upgrade the oem Intel ARC A380 graphics card (that has a base clock: 2000MHz to Boost Clock: 2050 MHz) and consider fitting a better mini RTX graphics card that will fit into the limited spaces of this desktop and will work with the oem 300W PSU that the TC-1760 has around its PCI Express x16 slot. Measure the space and then consider one of these cards from this list "Small Form Factor (SFF) Graphics Card"

Doing all the above will considerably increase speeds of both the desktop response speeds and the internet speeds for an AX internet connection modem.

• Mathmosman

Hello - I think it could be TC-1760 (TC - 1760 - E)

• Mathmosman

Unfortunately, most of this feels beyond me, however, I did note that I have the

Model Number: TC-1760 Part Number: DT.BHUEK.004

We got this model specifically because it came with 1TB hard drive capacity, so did feel we'd gone for something a little higher than basic.

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon

mine was the same ( bought from argos a few months ago ) , the hard drive it came with is a piece of junk, mine was a seagate i believe . read about 100mb a second and writes about 60mb. very simple fix is to get yourself a cheap ssd drive and if you know someone that can fit it and install windows all your troubles will be solved in an hour or so .

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon

the pc itself is great , just need a better disk drive than the one it came with

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

So your model seems to be a UK version but I can't pull up more on it than that. You do have an M.2 slot that accepts NVMe x4 3.0 SSDs (4.0 will work, but at 3.0 speeds). A 1TB SSD is pretty cheap, and will be a huge upgrade for performance. Simply drop the new drive in, clone the HDD to the SSD then use the boot menu to boot from the SSD. Once you are up and running on the SSD use Disk Management to wipe all partitions form the HDD and create a single data partition on it. You will be forever grateful that you did, and will likely never buy a computer with only a HDD again in the future.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.