Acer nitro 5 AN515-55-59AR boot issue. After entering the password the screen goes black

Options
Kyle1
Kyle1 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Nitro Gaming

It all started earlier this year, my laptop went into an update and after that update the laptop would boot normal and take me onto the login page. When you put the password it logs in and the screen goes black with the cursor. I’ve tried everything I could do to fix that but unfortunately I had to install a new version of windows via a usb stick. That was all fine, it lasted a day then at the login page it says something like password not valid or something like that(I can’t remember) Well now to the present the laptop shows the aced logo and just goes black with the cursor. No login screen. I’ve looked at the bios to try to boot a bootable version of windows but the usb isn’t recognised. I don’t know what to do.
Any help would be appreciated:)

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,975 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Kyle1

This model has two M.2 slots. Slot 1 is M.2 NMVe only and the other is NMVe/SATA SSD. These two are separate slots from the HDD.

The 980 1TB will work for your model.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 10,395 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Boot to the Acer logo and immediately press Alt+F10 combined, this will open the Windows Recovery menu where you can select, Reset this PC without losing my files in Troubleshoot Advanced. What is your laptop (full model name and year) what windows version are you running and what was that update, did you see error messages?

• Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options

Hi. I tried this now and it’s stuck on “please wait” It’s an Acer Nitro 5 model AN515-55-59AR to be exact. I got it in 2021

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 10,395 Trailblazer
    Options

What Windows version did you install, it looks like that went wrong. Your laptop is fully compatible with Windows11 so you should have just automatically upgraded from Windows10 to Windows11 when it was offered in 2022. The best you can do now is a Clean Install of Windows11, but you are saying that the USB drive is not detected by BIOS? Check your USB drive in a different port it may be USB 2.0. Here is the tutorial how to Clean install Windows11: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/clean-install-windows-11.99/

Once you are up and running again check your BIOS version that should be 2.06 if not update BIOS with this link: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_2.06_A_A.zip?acerid=637684771735744024&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=NITRO%20AN515-55&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

If you get in a bind with this, I recommend bringing/sending the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset the system to factory defaults and upgrade to W11 Home 22H2. There will be a small service charge ($25 in the Philippines).

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Kyle1 what is the model number of the Nitro 5?

The older models have their OS installed on the HDD so it takes a long time to load.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options

I installed windows 11 last year in November for free from settings. It ran well until earlier this year (January to be exact) while I was tryna to some homework and listen to music the laptop went into an update. When the update was complete it took me to the login screen and when I put my password it would just be a black screen with cursor. I eventually just installed windows 10 bootable but the next day there were issues with it. I have windows.old files that I don’t know how to uninstall. To sum it all up earlier this year there was an update do windows 11 which cause a black screen with cursor after the login. I’ll try to install a clean version of windows 11 tomorrow onto my usb(there might be no files on the usb)

• Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options
  • AnhEZ28
    Options

@Kyle1

I tried to look for this model and found out that it has a 1TB HDD as the main storage. This could be the reason that Windows cannot load up the desktop. If you see the black screen with a cursor, try to press CTRL + Left Shift + Esc to open the task manager, run a new task, browse, and find the explorer.exe in the Windows folder. Run that task and it should load up the desktop.

• Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options

CRTL LSHIFT and ESC does not work. I’ve done it before. I did a startup repair and that said something about disk errors. I did some research about that and it says that that the operating system is unable to access and read the hard drive.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Kyle1

It seems that the HDD might somewhat failed causing the OS to be corrupted. This might be the time to upgrade to the SSD.

• Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options

ohh that’s tuff. Would something like a Samsung 980 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD work? On my laptop it says that there’s available slots for 2 X SSD + 1 HDD. I’m assuming that you would put the one SSD where the HDD is and the NVMe in the slot right? I might just get 2 500gb SSD’s then if the price is right.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Hello! Do you have a way to check the health of the SSD with Crystal disk info?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options

No, my laptop has a 1TB HDD from factory. I believe the HDD corrupted my OS

• AnhEZ28
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Kyle1

This model has two M.2 slots. Slot 1 is M.2 NMVe only and the other is NMVe/SATA SSD. These two are separate slots from the HDD.

The 980 1TB will work for your model.

• Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options
  • Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options

Regarding the fact about the corrupt HDD, could I use the command prompt to fix it?

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Kyle1

Yes, you can try the SFC command to fix the corrupt files. I believe that the HDD has bad sectors and this will just partially fix the issue. I see that it automatically repaired the corrupt files itself and tells you to reboot to make the changes.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Can you connect the HD or SSD to another computer and check its health with CrystalDiskinfo?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,705 Trailblazer
    Options

Why have you got X: \ as your boot drive, as and if you have the 1TB oem M.2 SSD drive inserted into the proper Storage 1 PCIe3x4 slot (which is the M.2 SSD slot on the left as you open the back cover) of your AN515-55 then your laptop should operate perfectly. I've got the AN515-56 (which is the same laptop) and in my boot SSD1 I'm running a Gen 4x4 WD SN770 Black M.2 SSD drive and in the SSD2 I'm running a 1TB WD SN730 ordinary M.2 SSD drive that I got cheap and these two-drives work 100% and perfectly together with a Samsung 2.5" 2TB 870 EVO SSD, so my laptop has a total of 4TB drive storage. The AN515-55 laptop has better SSD2 spec than my AN515-56 as on my laptop the SSD2 is only a PCIe3x2, which only operates at 50% of the PCIe3x4 of your SSD2, so you should have no problems if you installed the Win-11 properly.

Do a Clean Install of Win-11 but before you commence the clean install, make sure that you have the AN515-55 IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver Version 17.9.1.1009 on the Win-11 installation USB, as you need to completely Delete the boot drive before the Win-11 new installation (so that everything is deleted off the boot drive) and after that you need to load the IRST driver at > Where do you want to install Windows > Load driver and install the IRST driver so that you do a Clean Installation of Win-11 onto a completely empty M.2 SSD disk, then and after you finish the Win-11 installation, make sure that all the windows drivers are up to date and install the latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and also update the NVidia Game Ready Drivers from NVidia, also make sure that you are running the latest bios version 2.06 and gpu firmware version v101a.

Doing a clean install this way is how it should be done, as my AN515-56 has worked 100% and perfectly for over 2 years now on Win-11 with all its updates, this laptop also came from Acer preinstalled with Win-10 and I did the above clean install and its always worked perfectly.

AN515-55 Storage Subsystem specs

• Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options

I’ll definitely try that. I’m still running the HDD so I need to put a SSD and install a fresh version of windows 11 with a few drivers right?

• Kyle1

Tinkerer

Options

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the suggestions which helped. My laptop was still under warranty so I got the HDD swapped for a SSD which is much faster than before:)