LCD Upgrade - Display compatibility - I am looking to upgrade the display for Nitro 5 AN515-45-R2GL

n77nikhil
n77nikhil Member Posts: 60 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in Nitro Gaming

From the title you can see I am looking to upgrade the display for my Nitro 5 which came with LM156LF2F01 Panel out of the box and I want to go upto a 1440p LCD which is more color accurate and has faster response times (available in certain variants) so I was able to find this NE156QHM-NY3.

So I would like to know if it's compatible because

1. The dimensions are a few mm different
  2. The display interface bandwith is different as well (HBR1 vs HBR2 : between the screens not sure about the existing cable type)

So I'm not sure if the existing cable does support the higher bandwidth or not , hence looking for second hopefully experienced opinion from you guys here in on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,532 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023

Hey n77nikhil, you got the specifications of the LCD screens wrong, as your Nitro 5 AN515-45-R2GL oem Acer screen with the BOE LM156LF2F01 screen, that is a Resolution of FHD (1920x1080) at Refresh Rate: 144Hz and its connected with an eDP 40-pin Video Connectors plugs, so you can most definitely upgrade to the higher Resolution 2560 x 1440(QHD) with the refresher rate 165Hz LCD screen the BOE NE156QHM-NY3 screen that Acer also fits to this laptop, the most important thing is that they both have the 40-pin Video Connectors otherwise and if your AN515-45 had the 60Hz refresher rate screen it would have an eDP 30-pin Video connector cable and then you can NOT upgrade the screen to the higher refresher rate screens of 144Hz or 165Hz or 360Hz screens as they only connect with a 40-pin Video Connector, that is the difference. As you can see below, this laptop also came with a BOE NE156FHM-NZ3 screen with a Resolution 1920 x 1080 (FHD) - Refresher rate: 360Hz which is also available as an upgrade. So look at all these screens and pick the one that suits you. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Below are all the screens that Acer lists and installs into the Nitro 5 AN515-45 laptops and they are all the same dimensions and fit into the top case of this laptop, also, the screen fitted to your laptop the BCE LM156LF2F01 is not listed below, as it lists other 144Hz refresher rate BCE type screens.

This is what the 40-pin eDP plug looks like:

The highlighted eDP cable below is what your laptop has and its applicable to the 165Hz refresher rate screen also.

• n77nikhil

Hi @StevenGen Thanks for the comprehensive breakdown of the possible display types used for my laptop series. I will go ahead with the purchase of the 1440p 165hz lcd panel and report back once i have it fitted, thanks!

• n77nikhil

One question though as given in your above post, for the cable part number 50.Q7KN2.012 is specifies CABLE for 120 & 144hz so isn't 165hz out of spec for the cable ?

• n77nikhil
    edited October 2023

Hi @StevenGen so i checked with the vendor who is selling the panel he recommened me this panel  https://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=46806

which is almost same in terms of specs as the BOE one i mentioned but uses the same eDP 1.3 from the LM156LF2F01 panel (just to be sure we don't have any issues with the cable)

so which would you recommend out of the three ? (innolux has higher powerdraw from what i can see in the specsheet  https://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=54053,44336,46806

eDP1.4 is for the BOE Panel which is not the same one as my existing PANDA eDP1.3 so the vendor is recommending me the Innolux Panel but it seems like Innolux uses quite a lote more power than the BOE and PANDA

So i want to know if i go for the BOE panel will i require to get a new cable as well ? or Can i use the existing cable.

And will the Innolux N156KME-GNA work on the stock cable or will it also need a new cable ?

and the power consumption of about 5w is a non-issue right ?

@brummyfan2 @JackE a second opnion about the eDP cables would be much appreciated. Thanks

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,428 Trailblazer

I don't think you need a new cable if you go for the BOE panel but I can not confirm with any authority, so I would suggest you try with the stock cable and find out, if it causes any problems you may have to buy another cable but as your model supports 165Hz panel and there Service Guide only shows the cable for 120/144Hz panel, I guess it will work 99%.

Power consumption will not be a big problem, in my opinion.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,792 Trailblazer

>a second opnion about the eDP cables would be much appreciated.>

Sorry, I personally wouldn't go this route. For me, too many uncertainties and risks for collateral damage replacing a screen. If it was mine, I'd probably go for an external QHD or even UHD monitor with better specs, visibility and maybe save some money & aggravation. The loss of laptop portability with an external monitor just wouldn't be that important to me if I was considering a gaming screen upgrade.

Jack E/NJ

• n77nikhil

@StevenGen @brummyfan2

Have successfully installed Innolux N156KME-GNA Panel, works fine no issues so far, only issue i can say is that the thickness of the panel itself is a tiny bit thinner than original one so leaves a 2-3mm gap between the bezel and the panel itself (might solve this later with some thicker double sided tape.

So thank you for your help and clarity in regards to the panel.

And yes i am running 64GB of RAM which keeps popping up as a question here on the community forums so you can just link my thread with the same incase of further new questions.

(2 sticks of KF432S20IB1K2/32 [Dual Rank])

Thanks again!