Predator Helios 16 PH16-71-93FR Memory Type Question - Gaming Laptop

cajuncowboy
cajuncowboy Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited July 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hi all, I'm looking to see where I can find the exact memory type/speed/and capacity a notebook has. I've looked through the online user manual with no luck. I want to see if a particular Acer laptop is worth investing in, but want to see how much I can upgrade the memory to. The particular laptop is the Predator Helios 16 PH16-71-93FR Gaming Notebook.

According to Best Buy, it can hold 32GB of memory total (16GB installed) which seems very small as I believe this chipset architecture supports 128GB. I'm hoping to replace the 2 slots with 64GB (32x2).

Also, does it support the 5600MT/s or the 4800MT/s memory speed? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't see any Sales contact information for Acer. I really wish the would be more technical on the specs portion.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,889 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓

The below specs are the Acer quoted specs for the Predator Helios PH16-71 laptop. There is NO mention that this laptop is compatible with DDR5-5600MHz type ram, only fit the suggested ram below.

If you want to take the risk of fitting other ram then I suggest that you do the Crucial System Scan and see what Crucial suggest for an upgrade for this new Acer laptop, but be careful as this scan might not be accurate.

Note: Stick to the ram specs and types that Acer quotes as the oem memory for the Predator Helios PH16-71 from its SG and its the specs below.

The best and safest upgrade that you can make to this laptop is to upgrade this laptop to 32GB max total at 2x 16GB (which will run at dual channel) with the SAMSUNG SO-DIMM DDRV 4800 16GB M425R2GA3BB0-CQK type ram and also make sure that you have upgraded the ram to the last version 1.12 type dated: 2023/07/24 - titled 1. Support new panel 2. Support new touchpad 3. Support new RAM 4. Update CPU microcode.

Acer suggested ram modules and modules that Acer fits oem to this laptop:

• StevenGen

No problems and I'm glad to help you out there cajuncowboy, also let me warn you about noncompatible ram, that fitting any other DDR5-4800MHz type ram that is not listed above, will not work and your laptop will NOT BOOT, as Acer laptops take certain CAS# Latency (CL) ram like all the 16GB listed ram modules above, which are available at 16GB DDR5-4800MHz, see the Samsung DDR5-4800MHz at Amazon, as your Predator PH16-71 has 16GB total ram at 2x 8GB DDR5-4800MHz and for gaming and high end editing will be much better to fit 32GB max total at 2x 16GB DDR5-4800mhz type ram like above and also run a fast M.2 SSD drive like the PCIe 4x4 Samsung 990 Pro NVMe M.2 drive, as the combination of all this will make your PH16-71 at least 100% quicker and your laptop will handle all high end gaming and software.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,305 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• StevenGen

The below specs are the Acer quoted specs for the Predator Helios PH16-71 laptop. There is NO mention that this laptop is compatible with DDR5-5600MHz type ram, only fit the suggested ram below.

If you want to take the risk of fitting other ram then I suggest that you do the Crucial System Scan and see what Crucial suggest for an upgrade for this new Acer laptop, but be careful as this scan might not be accurate.

Note: Stick to the ram specs and types that Acer quotes as the oem memory for the Predator Helios PH16-71 from its SG and its the specs below.

The best and safest upgrade that you can make to this laptop is to upgrade this laptop to 32GB max total at 2x 16GB (which will run at dual channel) with the SAMSUNG SO-DIMM DDRV 4800 16GB M425R2GA3BB0-CQK type ram and also make sure that you have upgraded the ram to the last version 1.12 type dated: 2023/07/24 - titled 1. Support new panel 2. Support new touchpad 3. Support new RAM 4. Update CPU microcode.

Acer suggested ram modules and modules that Acer fits oem to this laptop:

• cajuncowboy

Tinkerer

Wow man, thank you very much for your help! This is amazing information. I actually have another stick of RAM from an older laptop that is 32gb DDR5 4800MT/s that I can try and test it out to see if it accepts after I run the Crucial scanner.

Much appreciate your help.

• StevenGen

No problems and I'm glad to help you out there cajuncowboy, also let me warn you about noncompatible ram, that fitting any other DDR5-4800MHz type ram that is not listed above, will not work and your laptop will NOT BOOT, as Acer laptops take certain CAS# Latency (CL) ram like all the 16GB listed ram modules above, which are available at 16GB DDR5-4800MHz, see the Samsung DDR5-4800MHz at Amazon, as your Predator PH16-71 has 16GB total ram at 2x 8GB DDR5-4800MHz and for gaming and high end editing will be much better to fit 32GB max total at 2x 16GB DDR5-4800mhz type ram like above and also run a fast M.2 SSD drive like the PCIe 4x4 Samsung 990 Pro NVMe M.2 drive, as the combination of all this will make your PH16-71 at least 100% quicker and your laptop will handle all high end gaming and software.

• cajuncowboy

Tinkerer

Good to know about the CAS latency and Acer. So the Predator has 8GBx2 sticks, so I'll look to upgrade to 2 sticks of the 16GB Samsungs you mentioned.

I actually just added the Samsung 990 Pro m2 drive to my desktop and it runs great so I may bump this up too. Might as well pump out as much power as it has for potential.

• chuckbrigham
    chuckbrigham Member Posts: 1 New User

Here is an image of the exact memory that came out of the laptop that ran at 5600Mhz. I replaced it with 5600Mhz ram and its only running at 4800. I really haven't done much to troubleshooting.

The ram I replaced it with is the following, but its only showing up at 4800Mhz..

Kingston Fury Impact 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MT/s DDR5 CL40 Laptop Memory Kit of 2 | Lower Power Comsumption | Intel XMP 3.0 | Plug N Play | KF556S40IBK2-32

• cajuncowboy

Tinkerer

Hey thanks @chuckbrigham! I was originally looking at getting that exact same memory upgrade (Kingston Impact), but I'll probably go with the Samsung @StevenGen recommended from Acer's spec sheet, especially if its not going to take advantage of the extra speed and looks like I can save a few bucks.

But you're saying the stock memory was running at 5600 and Kingston replacement only runs at 4800? Wonder if the CAS Latency is different?

I wish you had 64GB (32gb x 2) to test out the computer with 😁. How are you liking the laptop?

• cajuncowboy

Tinkerer

Which memory do you have and why does it say there are 4 slots of memory?

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,305 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cajuncowboy

Tinkerer

• cajuncowboy

Tinkerer

Ok everyone, I received the laptop and can confirm that after you update the bios to version 1.12, you can reach speeds of 5600 with new memory. I added the 32 GB ( 16x2) of Kingston Fury Impact and it's showing it. I wish I could test to see if it will support 64GB, but I doubt it will. I'm happy with the 32GB though. Also, you need a special T socket to unscrew the back of the laptop which I found annoying since I had to buy that as well. Hope this helps anyone looking. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRTJ4Q94/ref%3Dppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Jbav12
    Jbav12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2023

Since no one had a definitive answer on 64gb kits working or not, I went ahead and got a kit from Amazon. It definitely DOES work in my PH16-71-93FR. When I installed it, it sat on a blank screen before the bios logo popped up for a solid 2-3 minutes, after that, it boots fast an has not crashed once. The kit is 5600, but only runs at 5200. For the record, I’m on the newest bios, 1.12, and I have the intel gpu disabled in software. Not sure it makes a difference, but there could possibly be issues with memory allocation with it, so I’m putting that info out for anyone having problems. Oem main drive, 2TB Samsung secondary drive. Good luck

• cajuncowboy

Tinkerer

• Jbav12
    Jbav12 Member Posts: 2 New User

Whelp…On continued use, I've started to have crashes that are coming up as memory errors. So…yeah, the laptop will run 64gb of ram, but it is definitely NOT stable. More than about 10 hours of runtime results in a crash/reboot. I'm grabbing a 32gb kit and I'll stick the 64gb kit on the shelf for future bios hopes. 1.15 doesn't seem to benefit our laptop at all.

• Tfgarland
    Tfgarland Member Posts: 1 New User
  • Lantrex
    Lantrex Member Posts: 1 New User

tl;dr: Chat support says "32gb max, up to DDR5-5600"

Found this thread trying to find an exact answer today. This is what I came up with.

The agent suggested:

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/drivers-and-manuals

-Enter S/N or SNID,

-Go to "Product Details",

-Listed RAM max of 32gb.

Supported speeds aren't listed, DDR5-5600 is from the agent's chat.