Revo RN76 Boot on Power on Is this an error in the BIOS or in my expectations?

revo_rn76
revo_rn76 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited September 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hi,
i have recently purchased a Revo RN76 B (BIOS: R02-B2L)
I would like to use the "Restore AC Power Loss" feature.
The purpose is to boot the PC as soon as Power the power supply is turned on.
The PC is connected to a switchable socket outlet.
The BIOS Setting is "Chipset->PCH Configuration->Restore AC Power Loss->[Power On]"
This should lead to the PC booting when the socket outlet is switched on.
But unfortunately it is not booting. The PC is only booting after pressing the power button of the PC.
Is this Setting dependent on another BIOS-Setting?
Is this an error in the BIOS or in my expectations?

thanks
  revo_rn76
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Consult SchneiderElectric. They may have a small battery backup interface that  switches on. Then quickly puts the system in low-power sleep mode on AC loss. Then it monitors the mains. When AC returns, it wakes the system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• Are you using windows 10 or linux? Your version of bios is designed for linux and that's why it ends with L. Have you tried to restore the bios too? Also, are you connecting the desktop directly to the socket?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • revo_rn76
    I did not know that this is a BIOS-Version intended for linux but i do use linux (opensuse Leap 15.1).
    It is the first time, that i heard of a destinct BIOS-Version for linux. (bios flashing tools: OK; but bios version for either linux or windows?)
    What do you mean by "restore the bios"? factory reset  or flashing the newest Version? i could not find a newer version.
    What do you mean by "connecting the desktop directly to the socket"?
    The revo has an externel power supply unit. The low voltage part is connected to the desktop and the 250V part is connected to a switched multible socket, which in turn is connected with a power outlet socket in the wall. It would be hard to try it the other way round :) .
    I hope your question is not leading to the suggestion of using an UPS, which would definitely not address the problem.

i appreciate your help
  • About the "Chipset-> PCH Configuration-> Restore AC Power Loss -> [Power On]" function, is a system function, which allows the system to be turned on again after an unexpected shutdown, ie when you have been using the system and suddenly lack electricity.
    ') Yes, when bios has the letter L, it is intended for the linux operating system.
    2) To restore the bios, press f9 and then f10. No need to update the bios.
    3) Yes, I would like to know if you are plugging the rn76 directly into the wall into a grounded electrical outlet.
    About your original question, check this out:
    4) In this option you put in power on, there is also the last state option?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • revo_rn76
    Thank you for trying to help egydiocoelho

1) strange. is this standard for acer?

2) i tried F9 (optimized defaults) but no change in behaviour.

3) the multible socket outlet is grounded (that is standard in our electricity installations)

4) Yes i mean that kind of setting. in most computers i have used in the last decades, such a setting is to be found under "Power management" or "Boot Options", but not with the revo rn76. there it is hidden in "chipset->PCH Configuration"
    There is no "Power" menu.
    under "Power Management setup" is nothing helpful.

This is the only Setting i have found, that should do the trick. but it is not.
    there is also the "Last state" and "Power Off" available.
  • 1) Yes. Especially with regards to desktops. Because some models come with linux and others with windows.
    4) What happens when you select "Last state"?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• revo_rn76
    4) unfortunately nothing.

The same behaviour: i turn the power of the multible socket off, wait (a long time), turn the power on and nothing happens.
    the Revo boots only when its own power button is pressed.
  • I asked some ACE colleagues for help with their problem.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    The BIOS may rely on an APC with a bit of standby power to sense AC restoration. The RTC/CMOS coin cell may not be able to handle this by itself. Perhaps SchneiderElectric should be consulted. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• revo_rn76
    is it just my revo rn76, that is not able to boot on power on or is it a "feature" of this model?
    previous to my question, i have searched the problem and found two similar questions concerning this problem with the revo rn76. They both were answered with the suggestion to use a PSU and nothing more.
    The hint to APC is interresting but would not solve my personal problem. The PC with 2 noisy external disks is in an "almost" closed compartment and i want to start the PC with a switch outside of the compartment. This electrical  installation is fixed and it would be hard for me to change that and integrate an APC.

It is a bit frustrating, as this is a very common feature that should work with every PC, although it is seldomly used in home enviroments.

thank you for trying to help.
    But if this is no wrong configuration and no error that acer would acknowledge (and hopefully fix), i have to accept that the revo rn76 was the wrong replacement for my old PC.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Consult SchneiderElectric. They may have a small battery backup interface that  switches on. Then quickly puts the system in low-power sleep mode on AC loss. Then it monitors the mains. When AC returns, it wakes the system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• revo_rn76
    Thank you. I will try it.
  • DanySupernova
    DanySupernova Member Posts: 2 New User

I know it's been a while, but I'd like to write down how to fix the problem since it took me a while to figure it out. To make the Revo restart automatically after a blackout you need to deactivate the EUP option, under Advanced in the bios.

• JackE

Was revo_rn76 your old username?

Jack E/NJ

• Just to help other users:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE

Because revo_rn76 is the username that started this thread.

Jack E/NJ