Stuck on the ACER logo at startup after update in Aspire A114-31

Wandaful
Wandaful Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Just did an update Win10 and now it's stuck on the ACER logo.
I have read dozens of posts on forums and have done what's suggested, but still nothing...

I can get into the BIOS using F2 and also F12 works (only F keys that work)
I have tried to hard start the computer by turning it on and off three times in succession but nothing
I have tried ALT+F10 at start up but nothing
I can't get into recovery/restore at all
I downloaded and created a USB recovery stick and changed the boot order in the BIOS but it still wouldn't boot.
I reset the battery using the pin hole underneath and recharged it etc (blue light in on)

I've dealt with computers being stuck on the logo before but I was always able to get into recovery/restore...

ANY suggestions would be appreciated
Cheers and thanks in advance

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,887 Trailblazer

You may have an issue with the 64GB eMMC (soldered boot drive). I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset the system to factory defaults and load OEM W10 (fully updated). Acer will charge a small service fee for that, in the Philippines $25.

• Pinehunter
    Pinehunter Member Posts: 24 Networker

Your Aspire A114-31 has a power reset switch which is accessible by using a wire paper clip through a small circular hole in the plastic base cover. Using it will temporarily disconnect the battery and hopefully reset the system and allow the computer to boot normallly. Good luck.

• Wandaful

Tinkerer

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate them

I have already tried to reset with paperclip but no go
    Also I live in remote Australia so there's no Acer services near here.
    If they can reset it then why can't I?

Computer was fine until the last update

• Puraw

You cannot reset or replace the EPROM. Only Acer technicians have the equipment.

• Pinehunter

Hi Wandaful. You mention that the "F" keys have some sort of problem that prevents all of them from working. If this is the case it may be that the keyboard connection to the main board is in some way faulty. Do you feel you can open the case and carryout a disconnect/reconnect of the keyboard connection? The only tool needed for the connector is a finger nail to lift the locking bar. The cable should not be pulled from the connection without the locking bar being lifted. All the case screws are the same length so removal/refitting is not a problem.

Another method to carryout a power reset is to turn on your machine until it halts at the logo screen. At this point use the power button to turn off the machine and continue holding it down for at least 30 seconds to allow components to discharge. After this, see if the matter is resolved.

Have you ruled out any issue with the laptop screen? It is possible to connect an external monitor or TV using an HDMI cable. A problem may arise as you will need to toggle the displays using the F5 key.

• Wandaful

Tinkerer

Thank you for your reply
    I tried everything you entioned and still nothing….
    It's important to note that the laptop was working fine until running the latest update
    Coincidence?
    I doubt it….
    I've also noticed the same or very similar question has been asked on quite a few forums by others and no one had the answer to them either…
    So it's obviously a fairly common occurrence … And therefore "should" be easy to remedy…
    I wish… 😀

• Pinehunter

Hi again. I have the same laptop as you and checking the BIOS the only difference in settings is in the Main section. Below the "Clear GPT Partition" field is "GPT Partition Record" which shows a date and time. Perhaps clearing the GPT Partition will resolve the matter. Can anybody throw more light on problems clearing the GPT Partition will cause?

• Puraw

Why don't you bring the laptop to Acer Services like I suggested last week?

• Wandaful

Tinkerer

I live in a remote area of Australia and the nearest town with Acer services is nearly a four hour drive

• Puraw
    Answer ✓

So do I in the Philippines, living on a remote farm. I sent my Acer laptop by DHL to Acer Services in Manila and it was returned after 1 week at my door step, Paid only DHL shipping charges, resetting the system was free of charge even after the warranty had expired.

• Wandaful

Tinkerer

Thanks for this suggestion
    Did what you said but still no change