Acer nitro 5 AN515-55-53E5 shuts down during gaming and not charging

CaptainObvious
CaptainObvious Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I've had the laptop for over 1 and a half years since December 2021.

My Acer nitro 5 suddenly shut down while I was playing a game. It is no longer charging and just says plugged in. The battery charge does not go up or down while plugged in.

If I try to play a game while plugged in the charging and power lights will blink a few times and then the laptop will shut down when I'm loading into the game.

After opening and checking the laptop, I think there is a problem with the p21n03 mosfet chip.

I saw another post where they had the same problem and fixed it by replacing the p21n03 mosfet chip.

I would appreciate it if someone could help and tell me where I can get the p21n03 mosfet chip or if there is any other suitable subsitute mosfet chip that I can use.

Answers

• CaptainObvious

Tinkerer

Any ideas?

• CaptainObvious

Tinkerer

edited August 2023

@Puraw

I have been using the original charger that came with the laptop which is 180 w. It's the last one on the list.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,011 Trailblazer

Have you tried resetting the BIOS with F9 in BIOS and in Windows uninstalling the 2 battery drivers with Device Manager and reboot?

• CaptainObvious

Tinkerer

@Puraw

I have done the BIOS default reset. I believe that there is a problem with the p21n03 mosfet I mentioned as I feel it might be shorted. The chip was also running very hot when I open games and then the laptop shuts down.

• Puraw

I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to check this out.

• CaptainObvious

Tinkerer

edited August 2023

@Puraw

I'm thinking I will have to do that. By any chance would you happen to know anything about the mosfet p21n03 chip in the laptop? Any ideas on which mosfet chips can replace it ?

• Puraw

Sorry, I have no idea, your laptop is less than 2-years old, I would leave these repairs to competent Acer technicians with all the ACER backing and resources. 😉

• CaptainObvious

Tinkerer

edited August 2023

@Puraw

Good idea I think I will get it checked out. Thank you for your help.

• I'll copy the answer from the other thread, so I can get my bearings:

There are two n-channel mosfets, that is, the voltage at the gate has to be greater than that of the source so that the mosfet lets through the 19v from the power adapter:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Before performing an exchange, what voltages are arriving at the gate, drain and source? Why is it possible that it is not shorted. But some other component that is part of the 19v voltage line. Also, is your computer under warranty or not?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,235 Trailblazer
    edited August 2023

you will find it more easily, importing from china:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801113458337.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CaptainObvious

Tinkerer

Thank you for the link.

I have also found them on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403830931910

Will these also be suitable.

• OK! When you solder the new component, let me know if the motherboard has resumed charging the battery. I usually use flow and the hot air station to unsolder the component.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• vgr04
    vgr04 Member Posts: 1 New User