Transplanting the tc866's motherboard on a new case?

epoch32
epoch32 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hello, has anyone tried transplanting the tc866's b36h4-ad motherboard on a standard atx case for good airflow? The standoffs seem to match that of mATX as is the front panel headers, but my concern are the ports. I couldnt find extenders for the usb and audio ports on the front

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited August 2023

The Aspire TC-866 desktop is designed to be installed into a =n Acer proprietary case, and it has all the diagrams for the front panel but not audio and USB 3.0 but USN 2.0. The Acer Aspire TC-866 mainboard is an Acer proprietary shape board for their distinctive desktops and it was never ever designed to be put into a different case.

To assist you here is the front panel connectors of the TC-866 from its SG, I've also included the F_USB2 (however useful that is?) as the USB 3.0 ports are all at the back and you can't have a front panel USB 3.0 connection to a case from this mainboard, there is no front panel audio connection diagrams also, you can use the back panel ports or use the Bluetooth audio. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Aspire TC-866 B36H4-AD (Rev 2.0) with the Intel B365/ALC662 - Acer part #: DB.BDC11.001

• epoch32

Tinkerer

An unrelated question I have is that is it possible to replace the stock cooler on this? My concern is that from what I can tell the stock backplate isn't standard. I want to be able to install a noctua cooler or something similar but from what I've seen, the backplate needs the mounting bracket removed if it's to be replaced

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer

The Aspire TC-866 has an Intel 9th Gen CPU, measure your TC-866 internal spaces for the CPU cooler and go onto the Noctua site and see the appropriate CPU cooler that are compatible for the Intel 9th Gen CPUs and see the installation manuals for the most appropriate cooler, I'm not very familiar with your TC-866 desktop.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

The stock cooler is the default Intel cooler, so a Noctua should work without pulling the back plate, you just need slightly different length screws. Check out the Predator desktops section for examples.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • epoch32

Tinkerer

But if I want to, I can install the secufirm right? on my b36h4 motherboard? I was wondering if it uses standard measurements for the holes.