Got a BSoD error with code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR on my new predator helios neo 16.

Danfil
Danfil Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited July 2023 in Predator Laptops

As the title says I got a BSoD error and on running windbg I got the failure bucket ID as 0x124_0_GenuineIntel.sys which is a CPU failure. Also the performance monitor's system diagnostics showed warnings with every component but now does not show any warnings whatsoever. All this happened after a windows update and after uninstalling said update everything seems to work fine for over 12 hours now. Should I go for a replacement or keep my laptop?

Best Answer

• Dwanzil
    Dwanzil Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓

Hello Bro,

It's strange that Acer guys don't have knowledge about these things although this is their job.

There are two things MUX switch and Nvidia Advanced Optimus. Previously we had MUX switch to directly use the Nvidia for Screen but it had an issue i.e. restarting and changing in bios each time you want to switch from Nvidia to Intel or vice versa.

Nvidia released Advanced Optimus to fix this restarting problem. If you choose auto select in Nvidia Control Panel, based on your usage, Nvidia will automatically switch from integrated to Nvidia and vice versa. Each time it switches from intel to Nvidia only or if you choose nvidia only, it does this by creating a virtual screen which is shown as second screen. Its not a bug this is how its being done. If you're in a doubt you can search on youtube regarding how NVIDIA Advanced Optimus works.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,737 Trailblazer

Check in Device Manager if you see any yellow exclamation marks or Unknown devices, uninstall all those.
    Try to update again, there may be a crucial Windows system update missing (common with new PCs). Run the Update Trouble Shooter, there is also a MS BSOD trouble shooter available online. If nothing helps and you keep crashing, boot to Safe Mode/Safe Boot with the Base Video driver (2nd column MSconfig.exe) and click on Apply in MSconfig. If you don't crash in Safe Mode, you have either a GPU card/driver or a non-Windows program/app issue. Disable Base Video and enable the apps one-by-one in MSConfig till you get the BSOD again.

• Danfil
    Danfil Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

Hey Puraw,

Thanks for your help. I have not faced any BSoD issue since. However, I got a different problem now. Whenever I set my display mode to Nvidia GPU only the display goes into the 'Second Screen Only' mode even though I have not connected any additional displays to my laptop. Even the acer support could not resolve this. Have you got any idea?

• Dwanzil
    Dwanzil Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓

Hello Bro,

It's strange that Acer guys don't have knowledge about these things although this is their job.

There are two things MUX switch and Nvidia Advanced Optimus. Previously we had MUX switch to directly use the Nvidia for Screen but it had an issue i.e. restarting and changing in bios each time you want to switch from Nvidia to Intel or vice versa.

Nvidia released Advanced Optimus to fix this restarting problem. If you choose auto select in Nvidia Control Panel, based on your usage, Nvidia will automatically switch from integrated to Nvidia and vice versa. Each time it switches from intel to Nvidia only or if you choose nvidia only, it does this by creating a virtual screen which is shown as second screen. Its not a bug this is how its being done. If you're in a doubt you can search on youtube regarding how NVIDIA Advanced Optimus works.