Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53-52FA - Desktop Screen Not Functional

realdrkshdw
realdrkshdw Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have been having this issue with my Nitro 5, where the laptop is able to boot up (extremely slowly though) and I can login to my account (extremely slowly as well), but it will bring me to my desktop that is completely empty. None of my applications are visible on the desktop, same with the taskbar and the only icon that is visible is the NVIDIA GeForce Experience. The cursor is always on the loading circle and the clock freezes with the time the mouse was last interacted with. I cannot click on anything when I hover over the windows icon, search button,  etc. I am able to ctrl+alt+dlt, but when I click on the task manager, nothing shows up when it brings me back to the desktop screen.

I have accessed the advanced settings screen by holding the shift button when I restart the computer. I tried the Automatic Repair tool by force quitting my computer three times, but that did not do anything. I tried the Startup Repair tool, but it wasn’t able to repair my PC. I also used the System Restore tool, no success either. Using the command prompt, I used the chkdsk function. That didn’t solve anything either.

I was wondering if there is any other solution to this issue. Ever since this issue started occurring, my computer takes very long to boot up and bring me to the login screen, just for the desktop to be dysfunctional. I believe another alternative is to perform the reset tool that would save my files, but I am not sure if that is a safe option, or if there is a better solution to that. 

I will attach what it looks like for my PC to boot up, and what the desktop looks like as I try to interact with it.

The GIF shows the current time vs the time on the computer being frozen to when it was last interacted with. When I click it buffers and updates the time.

This GIF shows what happens when I try to access the task manager.

I would appreciate it if someone can direct me to a solution :)

Answers

• realdrkshdw

Tinkerer

To add, I also tried the ctrl+shift+windows+B command — didn’t work

• realdrkshdw

Tinkerer

bump! Would appreciate any advice

• realdrkshdw

Tinkerer

bump! still having issue

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,671 Pathfinder
    edited July 2023

@realdrkshdw

Confirm if you have these specs- Intel Core i5 i5-8300H 2,3GHz | 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS | 1000GB HDD | 8GB DDR4-SDRAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB GDDR5.

Did you installed any SSD or ram?

If possible I would like to see task manager image first tab in details. You may able to get that when your laptop response. Also is your full laptop is slow or only desktop?

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Hey! What happens when you press alt+f10 before the acer logo?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • realdrkshdw

Tinkerer

Correct, those are the specs I have.

I did not install any additional SSD or ram. I just have the base storage and memory.

Whenever I press ctrl+alt+dlt and open task manager, it directs me back to the desktop but nothing shows up, so I can’t access the task manager. I would say the desktop is really slow. Booting up the laptop itself and restarting, updating, shutting off, etc. takes time as well.

• GAMING6698

Backup your important files we have to do full factory reset (Clean drive) in case of malware/virus.

You can recover your Acer computer by pressing Alt + F10 as soon as your computer starts booting up. Use the following steps to restore the your computer to factory defaults.

1. Press and hold the Power key for 5 seconds to power the system off completely.
    2. Press the Power key to turn on the computer.
    3. Press the Alt and F10 keys at the same time when the Acer logo appears on the screen. Your system should boot to a blue screen that says Choose an option.
    4. Select Troubleshoot.
    5. Click Reset your PC. This process will erase all data on the your system. Choose the Refresh your PC option if you want to restore your system and retain your data.
    6. Click Next, then select Fully clean the drive
    7. Click Reset to begin the recovery.

• realdrkshdw

Tinkerer

Whenever I press the “Keep my files” option for resetting it, it attempts to do the reset, gets stuck at about 30% progress, then it says undoing changes and brings me to a screen saying “There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.”

• realdrkshdw

Tinkerer

How would I do a backup of my files if I can’t access any application past the blank dysfunctional desktop screen? Is there any way to perform a backup through the login screen or something

@GAMING6698

• GAMING6698

1.  After ALT+F10 Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot Advanced options Startup Settings Restart. You may be asked to enter your BitLocker recovery key.
    2. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in safe mode. Or if you'll need to use the internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
    3. Now check if you able to use your laptop smoothly in safe mode

• realdrkshdw

Tinkerer

How would I do a backup of my files if I can’t access any application past the blank dysfunctional desktop screen? Is there any way to perform a backup through the login screen or something

• Access the command prompt as an administrator. Then type notepad.exe. With this command, you will be able to see hard disk drives and files.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • realdrkshdw

Tinkerer

Tried doing safe mode before but it didn’t change anything, still had the same behavior

• realdrkshdw

Tinkerer

thank you for this, which command should I use to back up everything?

• When you type notepad.exe does it show the files? Can you connect the ssd to another computer to back up the files?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,235 Pathfinder

@realdrkshdw

Your model has the stock 1TB HDD and no wonder it is freezing up like that. You can get an M.2 SSD, install the OS on that drive (this won't affect the stock HDD's data), and transfer files from the stock HDD if needed.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!