Upgrading the Predator Orion 3000 (PO3-630-UA15) into a new case

Vaarelsauce
Vaarelsauce Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm currently facing some serious overheating issues (summer) for this PC that I've bought 2 years ago. I'd like to salvage whatever I can, and bring them to a new mid-tower case.

My current PC contains these already-upgraded parts:

(RAM) 4x8gb in total

(CPU cooler) Noctua NH-U9S 92mm

My new mid-tower PC case contains:

(Case) Thermaltake Core V31 ATX Mid Tower

(Case fans) Arctic F12 PWM PST 74.0 CFM 120MM x 4

(PSU) Corsair CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX ← will most likely upgrade to 550w+

(Mobo) MSI B350M Gaming Pro MicroATX AM4 ← will also most likely upgrade to full-size

With that in mind, would this be a good idea in terms of compatibility? And is it also recommended to just buy a new Mobo & PSU for this new upgrade setup?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer

The tiny Thermaltake Core V31 ATX Mid Tower case is not really a hard core gaming case and also, why did you downgrade a B560 chipset Acer PO3-630 mobo to the MSI B350M chipset Gaming Pro MicroATX AM4?

You need a full ATX gaming case like the NZXT H7 Flow and LGA 1200 socket gaming mobo like the Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Ultra, what cpu did your PO3-630 have, as that is the most important and you should base your mobo around the cpu if you don't want to upgrade that. The rest of your components you can retain as the mobo and case change will reduce heat considerably for a limited budget.

• Vaarelsauce
    Vaarelsauce Member Posts: 2 New User

I see, thank you for your insight. I will keep your recommendation parts in mind. The Tower/Mobo that I mentioned actually was from an old PC that I used around 8 years ago, and was debating on whether to still use them, or buy a new component instead (hence I figured why not just briefly mention them here).

As for the CPU that came with this Predator Orion, it's an 11th Gen i7-11700F (overclocked to 4.2Ghz), and apparently I've been seeing people saying that it is a slight bottleneck for a pairing with the beefy RTX 3070.