aspire 5 A51555 G Weird greenish hue in the laptop screen when bright. Ips Glow/Backlight bleeding?

Afdhal
Afdhal Member Posts: 80 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited July 2023 in Aspire Laptops

My laptop is acer aspire 5 A51555 G 10th gen,and whenever theres a white background or the blue windows background either while restarting or going to settings or whatever I see a greenish mark on the screen which im positively sure is not ips glow.I uploades some pics for reference,its hard to see through pics but more noticeable with the naked eye.My question is is this normal like ips glow?or is this a serious issue like a damaged panel which i hope not.Its annoying cause when im browsing through chrome i can see this dark blurry line in the middle,if you increase the brightness i hope you can see.Hope the question makes sense.Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer

Google search and download black.jpg & white.jpg image files. Then post full screen phone photos of each file

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal

Its much better seeing it in person with the naked eye but I tried my best to take good pics that show it..

If you look carefully in the middle,theres a crease almost in the middle like a straight line from all pics if you zoom you can see what appears to be somewhat of a crease..in my question i also posted some pics in a full white screen as well.Hope it helps,You could see like a cross almost hope it makes sense,HOpe it helps,Thanks and pls let me know your thoughts

• JackE

Is this the black.jpg?

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Not good. Has it always been this way?

Also, if possible, please post photo of same black.jpg to HDMI TV screen or external monitor screen. This helps to find out if the problem is the laptop LCD screen, its LCD cable, or the laptop graphics processor.

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal

i would assume that the background ips glow/backlightbleeding is normal for an almost 3 year ips laptop but the thing thats concerning to me is that in the middle you can see a darker coloured smudge almosr right?In the middle like a slug?Even in the top right.

• Afdhal

"Not good. Has it always been this way?"

No not really its never been this bad nor gotten this far, ive noticed this recently.Tbh there has always been the ips glow thing,which is the common norm in ips displays but this issue ive noticed maybe in the past couple weeks.To be fair it is an almost 3 year laptop but still it shouldnt get this bad right?With black patches??

Btw based of that black jpg pic you referenced,What seems do be wrong for you based on your intial look??Is it the ips glow or the weird black smudge in the middle and in certain areas. What seems to be your thoughts?

Ill take a pic of it connected to an hdmi tv and keep you posted..If you dont mind me asking cause im confused....You want me to take a pic of the tv??With the black jpg??Cause The tv pic is going to come clean with no "glow" or anything??Sorry for any confusion.Hope to hear from you soon,Thanks👍🏽

• JackE

.You want me to take a pic of the tv??

Yes, a pic of the black.jpg displayed on the TV screen.

If you see the same patterns on the TV screen , then that suggests a GPU issue.

However if the TV screen looks OK, then that suggests an issue with the laptop screen or it's cable connection between the mainboard and bottom of the laptop screen.

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal

Hi,I did connect to an external tv and unfortunately it was clear as in no straight mark in the middle,I couldnt take a pic of it but i checked it in 2 external tvs and it was the same.Seems to be a display panel issue although this is a new issue as I mentioned before this laptop is almost 3 years old and it has never appeared.What do you suggest I do?Replace the panel??Cause even in safe mode i can still see it in the plain black background.Would it get potentially worse with time?Thanks and sorry for the late reply.

• JackE

What do you suggest I do?

Easiest things first. I suggest trying to re-seat the LCD video cable connector next to the RAM socket at the mainboard a half-dozen or so times to help clean its contacts just in case they are a bit dirty or oxidized after 3 yrs or so.

Unplug charger. Remove 11 screws from bottom cover. Pry the cover off starting from front bottom with a credit card or suitable wedge. Disconnect battery pack from mainboard. Then re-seat the LCD cable. Then button it back up. Test it and we'll go from there one way or another.

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal

Thankyou so much,Ill give it a go and keep you updated.Judging from the pic you uploaded for reference I notice the lcd connecter is next to the hinge,I do have a broken/loose hinge which has been loosened instead of tightened and fixed,Perhaps that may cause some interferance??Maybe some adhesive glue has gone or something i dont know..Its a long shot but possible right?ILL definetly keep you updated.

Also if you dont mind me asking,Its safe to do it alone by a layman like myself right??Cause pls excuse my lack of knowledge but re seating the lcd cable connector i doubt that requires any major skills??Thanks and look forward to hearing from you

• JackE

safe to do it alone by a layman like myself right??

Just make sure you disconnect charger & battery pack connectors before re-seating any other connectors. To be extra careful, connect yourself to a mainboard metal ground point like the hard drive case with a ESD wrist strap so sparks don't happen between your fingers and a board chip. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal

Hi,So sorry for the late reply I just got this fixed yesterday and I wanted to update you.So basically it wasnt a physical damage or a fault,Ants have gotten inside which caused the marks to appear.My laptop also got a hinge issue so while replacing the top lid my technician noticed this.

• JackE

Thanks for reporting back on this issue. Ants are often attracted to food crumbs and other debris on the keyboard that sometimes drop on these mainboard connectors.

Jack E/NJ