Swift SF314-511 Acer Care Center - BATTERY CHARGE LIMIT OPTION IS MISSING

ra01
ra01 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Computer : Swift SF314-511

Acer Care Center Version: 4.00.3046.0

Issue: BATTERY CHARGE LIMIT OPTION IS MISSING

The option was avaliable in the past. Please hlep to solve the issue.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,859 Trailblazer
    edited July 2023

The Acer Care Centre battery limit should be there for that version you have as I've got it for an earlier version the 4.00.3042.0. You don't need the battery charge limit as it doesn't do anything, and it definitely doesn't prolong your battery life. Calibrate your battery regularly both physically and with the Acer Care Centre "Battery Calibration" as its a much better way to prolong your batteries lifespan!

Battery Calibration

• ra01
    ra01 Member Posts: 2 New User

Many thanks for the reply! The version I used to have was 4.00.3042.0.  However, the option or tab 2 "Battery Charge Limit" & the option or tab 3 "Battery Calibration" were missing few weeks ago. The image I displayed in the last message shows there are no "Battery Charge Limit" & "Battery Calibration" but only "Battery Health" remains. I upgraded Acer Care Center from the verion 4.00.3042.0 to 4.00.3046.0 yesterday; however, "Battery Charge Limit" & "Battery Calibration" are still missing.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,859 Trailblazer

You don't need them, I calibrate the battery my own way and have done so for many decades, and this 80% limit is ???able. Do the hard calibration by running the battery down like its instructed above.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer

As Steven has been saying, it's not needed. I believe having that in the software has been a real headache for Acer, since people expect to have it actually do something to make their battery last longer, so they just removed it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PetrSpanel
    PetrSpanel Member Posts: 3 New User

hello, I have same problem with nitro. The battery limit is missing. Can someone tell me, how to revert the Acer care center update? or is it just faulty update?

note: Limiting the battery charge will prolong the battery life significantly! The posts from "StevenGen" and "billsey" are nonsense. Calibration will just tell you actual battery capacity.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,656 Trailblazer

Disable or uninstall ACC, it frequently hangs in W!1 and there are conflicts with W11 WAU (automatic updating), you don't need ACC.

• PetrSpanel

Actually, I am using W10. And I agree, I don't need ACC, but it is the only tool that allow to set the battery charge limit or can it be done different way?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,656 Trailblazer

You are posting a question on someone else's thread; you will get much better results when starting you own thread with your full laptop model number and Windows version/build. FYI the whole story about battery longevity/wear and memory charging effects is a myth promoted by the bloatware industry, never been tested or proven (100% anecdotal), you can charge your battery to 100%, use the full charging range 5-100%, and leave the laptop plugged in 24/7 without any problem or causing any extra battery wear. Google to learn more about this subject.

• PetrSpanel

Hello, thanks for the reply, I posted it here, because I have the same problem as "ra01", and this is not the problem of the specific model or operating system. It seems, that Acer just removed that function from ACC intentionally.

For that battery wear. I have a lot to do with power electronics and batteries (Ph.D.) so I can say I have some experience. The optimal charge level is about 60%, then the battery can keep its capacity for 10 years. If you keep the battery charge level at 100% (24/7), you can throw it away after year (own experience).

Lot of consumer electronics manufacturers implement the charge limit (e.g. Samsung) → why would they do that?

"Google to learn more about this subject."

• billsey

Acer provides different versions of ACC for each different model, and they provide different features based on what is best for that model or SKU. They initially included the charge level limit for some versions, but likely have been removing it as version updates happen because it causes more headaches for tech support than is justified for by the hype surrounding the feature. I have lithium-ion based laptops that are many years old (the oldest I have in active use is from 2006) that still have original batteries that work, and they almost exclusively have been used with the charger connected 24/7 and only run on battery when being used in a portable environment. When a battery gets old, the length of time the system will run only on battery decreases, but my experience is they seldom drop completely out unless left for a fairly long time off the charger.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • digitalflashback
    digitalflashback Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

So everybody here trying to force the community to do nothing with their battery longevity… Got it, you have nothing to do with chemistry or lithium-ion technology and of course you have different experiences where one battery lasts for decades and another dies after 6 months… Ok. You cannot help to others with their questions, got it, but then maybe, maybe you should simply just stop commenting and spreading BS here.. Unfortunately you can do nothing with the fact that you can definitely care about a battery, and there are factors that matter. Every brand, factory, product etc.. who works with batteries has their own battery lifetime saving functions (even inside your smart phone) and mostly incorporated into their products, just like every laptop brand has the function nowadays to limit / manage the charging. Why? Obviously because it has no any effect… Sure. Thank you all the help dear community! Really! I don't have to mention that I have the same problem. This function is just missing from my Acer Care while it was there before. If I'm just sleeping better with that function ON will worth it and better than the fact that I cannot even manage this thing. My Acer machine is brand new and already ridiculous its battery lifetime. I don't know what's the problem with somebody trying to protect this ridiculous lifetime as long as possible. This website is the fault of Acer primary, and I don't see any value here since I am an Acer customer… If Acer Care cannot care than who can? Just stop usin the name "Care" and if nobody care here then it's time to shut down this website full with zero help answers. I also would be very happy with an answer or even with a solution on how to stop charging my batteries to full. If a company decides to ignore this function that is because they want to sell more batteries, no doubts.

• billsey

You sound somewhat like you are trying to comment to Acer… This forum only has Acer users on it, not Acer employees. Suggestions should be sent to Acer instead of to us. I personally have never used the 80% charge limit on any of my machines (and I have more laptops than I can easily count), but then I've also never had a laptop battery fail on me. I have resurrected other people's laptops from failed batteries, but they have typically been left for a very long time in a discharged state. My oldest laptop that is still running and active (with a shorter battery life than when new, but still on the original battery) is from 2006. It's used to drive my CNC router and stays on and connected to it's charger 24/7/265. It will run for about an hour on the battery if the power goes out…

• Luser05
    Luser05 Member Posts: 1 New User

Finally, someone who makes a little sense around here. I have been reading a lot of misinformation spread here, a lot of people (some of them even ACE members) suggesting users to disable the battery limiter option from their laptop because it's useless and detrimental for the battery itself. That is not true at all, the battery technology (Li-Ion) is always the same, with its problems.

Keeping a battery fully charged 24/7 will wear the battery faster, it's just the battery chemistry and it's not something that could be magically fixed. So, anyone who has the function in their Acer Care Center and use the laptop plugged in all the time should enable the function if they want to prolong their battery life. For those who lost the function… Well, you could try installing a new version of Acer Care Center (or an older version for those who already tried) and it might fix it, or update the bios to the latest version.

Remember that laptops of the last few years (except few premium options) don't have removable battery anymore, so you can't just swap out your old battery easily like before.