Want to upgrade the video card Aspire TC-885-ACCFLi3O

depotdevil
depotdevil Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

My son is looking to play some more advanced video games. 
Computer-
Acer Aspire TC-885-ACCFLi3O Desktop,
8th Gen Intel Core i3-8100,
8GB DDR4 +16GB Optane Memory, upgraded to 16gb DDR4 ram.
1TB HDD, upgraded with a 2nd 1TB HDD

I know the I3 isn't fully up to par. But the video card is my first swing at it. 
I know it has a PCI-E 16. 
recommended from the game is AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB.
Can anyone recommend anything under $200.. 
And do I need to upgrade the power supply?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    My son is looking to play some more advanced video games. 
    Computer-
    Acer Aspire TC-885-ACCFLi3O Desktop,
    8th Gen Intel Core i3-8100,
    8GB DDR4 +16GB Optane Memory, upgraded to 16gb DDR4 ram.
    1TB HDD, upgraded with a 2nd 1TB HDD

I know the I3 isn't fully up to par. But the video card is my first swing at it. 
    I know it has a PCI-E 16. 
    recommended from the game is AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB.
    Can anyone recommend anything under $200.. 
    And do I need to upgrade the power supply?
    Look, you can upgrade your son's TC-885 ACCFLi3O Desktop to what you want but, its only doing a quarter of the job, its up to you if its worth it for less than your $200 budget? The PS is ok as you have an OEM of 300W which will just work with these gpu's. Just as an advice, your $200 investment won't make any significant difference(s) to this pc especially with a cpu like a Core i3-8100 and 8GB memory and a spinner HDD, these specs are just low specs and don't cut it in todays high gaming world, yes the curent OEM specs do for older games but not for the newer games. As you need a higher spec cpu, an SSD and higher spec memory to make any difference.

Now, you have 3 choices as far as cpu's are concerned, the first is, do an upgrade of the memory only to to the 16GB at DDR4-2400 speed which is compatible with your OEM cpu of the i3-8400 (4 cores/4threads/ 3.60 GHz/Cache 6 MB/TDP-65W) that has no turbo boost. Or you can do an upgrade to either the i5-8400 (6 cores/6 threads/2.80 GHz to 4.00 GHz turbo boost/cache 9 MB/TDP65W) as its compatible with the DDR4-2666 memory or the i7-8700 (6 cores/12 threads/3.20 GHz to 4.60 GHz turbo boost/Cache 9MB/TDP-65W) that is also compatible with the TC-885's chipset and mobo and are recommended with the the same memory of the DDR4-2666 and the upgrade to 16GB will make a bigger difference in these combinations of cpu to DDR4-2666 upgrades and those new gpus, this is a fact that works and will make a big difference.

To summarise, the integrated Intel UHD 630 of the I3-8100 is a pretty low spec cpu/gpu combination and upgrading just the gpu (to those mentioned above) for gaming is really useless. The upgrading of these 8th gen cpus to the likes of the better i5-8400 or the i7-8700 that both work 100% within the chipset and the TC-885's mobo is an improvement but you need all that I've suggested above. As and after you do all that, then you can easily upgrade your gpu to either the AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB or even a higher spec GeForce GTX 15 or even the higher spec 16 series gpu but and if you do all these upgrades, I would upgrade the PS to a 650W type PS as all these extra components will need extra power, simple but its going to cost you more than $200 =) but and if you do then it will make your TC-885 ACCFLi3O a serious gaming platform that your son will have that will handle the current games of today and last him a much longer time and be much cheaper than upgrading to a new gaming desktop, simple as you can't have both.  
  • kqian111
    kqian111 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
    With all the upgrades you just mentioned (CPU: $60-100, Ram: $60, GPU: $100-150) and maybe throw in an SSD, you can almost get a newer low end computer that will be more upgrade friendly to begin with
  • StevenGen
    edited January 2021
    kqian111 said:
    With all the upgrades you just mentioned (CPU: $60-100, Ram: $60, GPU: $100-150) and maybe throw in an SSD, you can almost get a newer low end computer that will be more upgrade friendly to begin with
    That is what I was saying and pointing out. The option of upgrading is not always the best options (depends on your budget) as this post pointed out but, for most its all that they have and for $300 or less it could be their best option. That is what I was trying to point out with the different alternatives but, this upgraded full system is still a petty decent system and comparable to allot of cheaper system today and irrespective of what is available today. Also, what can you buy for and I quote your figures, $100+$60+$150 = $310 these days? Let me know and I will get a dozen of these "more upgrade friendly" systems =) there are lots of options and I was giving the main options that anyone can do or have with an existing system. 
  • doctor_deez
    doctor_deez Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2023

Could you please put links to the hardware

I have the same pc and I'm not sure what to buy

• StevenGen
    edited July 2023

Here are all the Acer part numbers and components that you can upgrade the Aspire TC885 desktop, remember that this desktop comes oem with an Acer proprietary single stage PSU of the following specs, POWER.500W.100-127/220-240V~10/5A 50-60H