My Nitro 5 AN515-44 shows no bootable device

Jassboi28
Jassboi28 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

So I was going to upgrade my acer nitro 5 from Windows 10 to Windows 11, then I realised that to use the EASYBCD my laptop needs to be in legacy mode. So I found a tutorial, it stated that I needed to download EASEUS Partition Master so I did. Then the dude said to change the c drive to mbr. And I did, I dont know much how to explain it, because im new to this. But I am trying my best. Then when I restarted it, the partition master did it's thing, then it told me to press enter, I did. After which my laptop restarted and it just stated that no bootable device. Please HELP!!!

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,827 Trailblazer

If your BIOS shows the Legacy option as well as UEFI it will support the MBR boot format. If BIOS only shows UEFI your motherboard does not support MBR and your HDD is initialized as UEFI. You should have just waited till Windows10 offered you to upgrade to W11, not use the Clean Install method with an ISO image. Boot to BIOS with F2 and press F9, reset to factory defaults. save BIOS settings on exit and reboot. When it won't boot to Windows because the bootloader on your HDD is corrupted but you can see the Acer logo right after booting, quickly press Alt+F10 this will get you to the Troubleshoot screen, click on Advanced and Reset this PC without losing your files. Then wait a few days till W10 will offer to upgrade to Windows11, meanwhile stay up-to-date with Windows check for updates and do system maintenance: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prepare-your-pc-windows-11-upgrade.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer

Your Nitro AN515-44 is a fully compatible Win-11 laptop, it has all the specs of its CPU Ryzen 5 or 7 and its motherboard is also TPM compatible, but Acer does not have drivers for Win-11 and only has drivers for Win-10, all missing drivers you will have to use Win-10 drivers.

To install Win-11 onto this laptop you don't need your boot drive to be in MBR/Legacy (who told you that? as its wrong) Win-11 operates the best in GUID (GPT) format, that is why you are getting the boot drive error "No Bootable Device" as the boot drive is formatted in GUID (GPT) format,

To install Win-11 is a very simple process, so do this:

1. First and if you haven’t, upgrade your AN515-44s bios to the last Version: 1.04
    2. Make a Win-11 installation USB by first downloading the .ISO Win-11 file from "Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO) for x64 devices"
    3. After you have downloaded the Win-11 .ISO file construct a bootable 8GB USB installation drive with Rufus 4.1 .ZIP file and follow Rufus instructions
    4. Then start the Win-11 installation and make sure that when you get to the Win-11 installation section of "where do you want to install windows" you completely format the boot drive so that all traces of Win-10 is deleted from the boot drive completely.

After the installation make sure that you install all the latest NVidia gpu driver and the latest AMD graphics drivers as windows update does not install the latest versions especially for the GTX1650 or GTX1650Ti drivers.

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

Bro Im pressing the keys Alt+F10 quickly when I see the acer logo, when rebooting, but still no luck.

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

Also Thanks for this bro, but I cant seem to get to the troubleshoot screen. So I cant install Windows 11 until I can fix my laptop back. Do you also know any way out?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023

Bro, you don’t press Alt+F10 to get into the Troubleshooting screen, see this here “Enter Advanced Startup (WinRE) on Windows 11 from Setup” see if you can get to the installation USB to start the Win-11 installation, as that is how you do it.

If you cannot boot Windows 11, you can use a USB media to access the Windows Startup Settings. You will first need to create a bootable installation media and then use these steps:

1. Start the device with the USB media.
    2. Click the Next button.
    3. Click the “Repair your computer” option in the bottom-left corner.

Once you complete the steps, the Windows 11 Setup will open the Advanced Startup environment.

What you have done with the MBR/Legacy is you have damaged the boot drive operating system and all its files, that is why your laptop is not booting and you are getting the “No Bootable Drive” error. You need to boot your laptop from a USB with the Win-11 installation files and the Rufus boot files, then you need to format the M.2 SSD boot drive and install Win-11, if you can’t do that then the boot M.2 SSD drive is damaged and you need to buy a new one so that you can install Win-11 onto a boot drive that way and the way that I’ve described above.

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

Bro but I dont have M.2 SSD I have an HDD,

so would I have to buy a new HDD if that's the case?

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

So bro I'll do the steps you have given me probably when the weather here gets better.

Im just stuck in my house by then, because I dont have a second PC or Laptop, so I'll go to my friend's place when it gets better. So I was going to ask you, while im stuck in my house over here, can I download the Windows 11 ISO and then move it to the USB using Rufus like the picture below states. Tell me if I can do that safely and if that will cause any harm or not. Thank you!

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,450 Pathfinder

You shouldn't have used 3rd party app to upgrade your windows. GPT Drives can only boot in UEFI bios mode and legacy mode which requires MBR are no longer supported in new systems.

We can try to convert disk partition from mbr to gpt through installation media.

So, Would you able to make Bootable usb?

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Jassboi28

Tinkerer

edited June 2023

Yes I will

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

Guys, my parents insisted today to get it fixed from professional.

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

Hello, I had a doubt, and please answer it.

Umm, I was going to create a Bootable USB from my phone, since my friend declined to help me. I was going to use s otg cable, and download the ISO of windows 11 (btw should I download windows 11 iso or windows 10?) from their website and then I was going to use ISO 2 USB to format it. But now I have a doubt. Since my boot priority order is already empty, but my HDD is attached. Then if I attach the bootable usb, would it detect it and boot? Because I dont know if I'll be able to change the boot order, since its practically not there. And I dont want to waste my Internet Data Allowance. Thank you.

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

Also,

Should I download windows 10iso for the boot or windows 11iso for the boot? Or is it up to me?

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

And one last question, I know im being very annoying but its just that im very worried. And I need my lappy functional by 10th of July.

Why is my boot priority order completely blank like as in empty. Is it because it cant detect the HDD on which the Windows was installed? (Even tho it is connected properly, and the HDD is my only form of storage, I just have a single HDD.) AND will it detect my USB when I plug it in? Because of course I need it to detect it since its the only way I can fix my lappy, according to you guys, right? BTW once more I'll be downloading ISO to my phone then use OTG to move it to usb and use ISO 2 USB to format it. Is that safe? Once more please do answer, im very very truly worried.

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

Dude I have already done those, are you a bot of sumin? Please someone help.

• Jassboi28

Tinkerer

Should I USE File system FAT32 or what?

And also partition table R or GPT? I think MBR right, since my HDD is MBR for now