My ACER Predator Helios 300, won't start after installing SSD.

hanu9999
hanu9999 Member Posts: 3 New User

It was working fine. I bought a new SSD and installed it. Then I tried to turn on the system, it won't turn on. The blue light starts and turns off. When connected the charger it shows the blue light. I'm not sure what to do.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023

What is the exact Predator Helios laptop model number? Is this new M.2 drive a bigger capacity boot drive and its cloned with the old OS, is it a secondary slave drive, give more details as there are many reason why your laptop does not boot with a new M.2 drive or a 2.5" drive installed.

You either cloned the drive incorrectly, you have put the M.2 SSD into its slot incorrectly or the M.2 drive is faulty and has damaged pins or the M.2 slot on your laptop mobo is damaged, as those are the only reasons why a drive would stop your laptop from booting. Check all those things out as and if you have a new M.2 drive and you installed it properly your laptop should boot 100%.

• hanu9999

It is ACER Predator Helios 300, i5 10th gen, RTX 2060 6gb and 16GB RAM.

It is the secondary slave drive. I think it is installed correctly.

I removed the battery and installed it and reconnected the battery. It won't turn on since then.

Can it be resolved without losing any data?

• hanu9999

Model : Predator Helios 300 Core i5 10th Gen - (16 GB/1 TB HDD/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/6 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060/144 Hz) PH315-53-594S

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023

The Samsung M.2 980 NVMe M.2 SSD should work in your PH315-53 laptops, as the PH315-53 2nd SSD slot works with an M.2 SSD PCIe 3 x4 or a PCIe 3x2 or an M.2 SATA III SSD type drives. This is your laptops M.2 SSD drive specs given by Acer:

This boot problem happed to me also with my Nitro AN515-56 when I added an additional 2.5" SATA III SSD drive, and the laptop didn't boot after I installed the 2.5" SSD drive,

The reason was that in my case, the SATA III cable was not connected to the motherboard SATA plug correctly and that is why the laptop didn't boot, but once I connected the cable 100% and correctly the laptop booted correctly and the 2.5" SATA III SSD worked perfectly.

So this could be the problem with your Samsung 980 NVMe PCIe 3 x4 drive or it might not be compatible with your laptop which is strange as PCIe 3 x2 or x4 are backward compatible and work perfectly in an M.2 slot with a drive that is PCIe 3x4 in a PCIe 3 x2 M.2 slot. Check that out as its something to do with your laptop and not the drive or try a lower spec M.2 PCIe 3 x2 or even a SATA III M.2 SSD.