ACER TravelMate P214-52 BIOS not opening with F2 key. Stuck on ACER logo.

Options
Kushagra21
Kushagra21 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

[EDITED TO INCLUDE SYSTEM INFO]

Basically the question. When I try opening the BIOS with the F2 key, it freezes on the ACER Logo. Can't enter BIOS!!

ACER TravelMate P214-52

OS- Windows10

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options

get into bios within windows at Reset >Advanced Startup >Restart now UEFI Firmware settings as that will get you into the get into the bios. Latest laptops don't go into bios by pressing the F2 or F12 keys.

• Kushagra21
    Kushagra21 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Sir, i tried that. But sadly it didn't work. After following 'Reset >Advanced Startup >Restart now UEFI Firmware settings', it still gets stuck on the ACER logo.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,738 Trailblazer
    Options

So it continues on to load Windows if you don't try to enter the BIOS?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rice01
    rice01 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

I have a Travelmate P and have the same.

It somehow forgot my EFI boot settings, which also happened before. I was able to set it back going into the Bios with F2.

However when I try now, either with F2 or via windows recovery it gets stuck on the Acer logo. Is there any key to switch off the logo, so I can see any log error?

If I dont try to get into the (Bios) firmware it continues to boot Windows.

Any help is welcome.

• rice01

Tinkerer

Options

I updated the Bios firmware from version 1.46 to v1.47. After rebooting it was stuck ina boot loop. I pressed F2 and got into the Bios. I was able to set my EFI boot to my windows partition and boot succesful.

However when I now try to get into the bios it is again stuck on the Acer logo.

By the way F12 boot menu does not work either. Also for your info, I have Linux on another partition, but I cannot boot it now.

There is something wrong with the firmware.

• billsey
    Options

We are going to need more info in order to try and help. Which model TravelMate do you have? Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like TMPxx-xxx-xxxx.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rice01

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for your response. It is the Travelmate P TMP215-53. Model N19Q8

It seems to be forgetting the EFI boot setting once in a while (like a few months).

• billsey
    Options

OK, that's new enough it shouldn't even have an option to switch to Legacy mode. There are a couple of possibilities that I can think of. One would be the CMOS settings are getting corrupted, which typically would happen if the CMOS battery were in some sort of failure. That would be an easy fix if it were the case since all you have to pull first is the SSD, the battery is just under that:

Another possibility is an issue with the drive, where the EFI loader file isn't able to be accessed. I think this more likely than the battery issue, but still pretty rare. They used several manufacturers as the source for their SSDs but I believe all were NVMe x4 gen3.

Way down on the list would be data corruption on that PCIe connection on the M.2 slot to the SSD. That would be a motherboard replacement type repair…

• rice01

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for you explaination and images. I can imagine that the CMOS is reset and it is defaulting to some existing Linpus partition, which I do not have. This might be a problem that I want to investigate. However my first concern now is that I cannot get into the Bios.

I cannot imagine this is caused by one of these issues. The bios is stored, because when it does not boot Windows I can get into it. When I set it to boot my Windows partition, it is stuck on the Acer logo. Also starting the Bios should be independent from the SSD, unless the Bios is checking the SSD and it gets into a loop. Which I still think is a problem with the firmware.

In know firmware has gotten more complex, but in my opinion I always should be able to enter to Bios, to change the settings for the hardware. I could check if I can get into the Bios, without the SSD onboard. Would opening the case void my warrenty?

• billsey
    Options

Before POST really starts doing it's thing, the EFI portion of the BIOS is loaded. That seems to be where it's failing on yours. Can you set it to boot into Linux, then enter the BIOS and use the 'set UEFI file as trusted' to the correct Windows EFI?

As to warranty, some countries allow you to open it and some do not. If you have a sticker over one of the screws then likely yours does not. Check on Acer's website for your locale to be sure.

• rice01

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, unfortunately I cannot set it to boot from Linux as I cannot enter the Bios and F12 is not working.

I will check without the SSD when I have some time to do it with care

• ies
    ies Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    edited August 2023
    Options

same issue for me with acer switch v10 , have you a result without ssd ? have you a bios access ?

• billsey
    Options

A Switch V10 is a very different machine than a Travelmate P214-52. Any solutions for one will almost certainly be wrong for the other.

• rice01

Tinkerer

Options

Hi Billsey,

My apologies it took so long for me to get back to this. I did what you asked and pulled the SSD and indeed without it, it boots into the BIOS. I was able to set the F12 boot menu to "enabled", which now allows me to access my Linux partition.

After replacing the SSD, the boot goes into a reset loop. I could go into the BIOS and change the boot options from "Linpus lite" as the first to "Windows boot manager" as first. Subsequently it boots my Windows but as a consequence does not allow me to enter the BIOS anymore. It just hangs on the Acer logo when trying to go inside.

So, maybe it has to do with the configuration of the boot options….

BTW. are you employed by Acer?

Thanks

• billsey
    Options

No, I am not employed by Acer, none of us other than the moderators are and they don't get involved in the threads other than to deal with things like spam posts and board maintenance.

It does look like you have two UEFI environments setup. It is usually best to choose one and have both entries in that, but it ought to work for both using the F12 boot menu. It sounds like the Windows Boot Manager one is working and allowing a boot into Windows, but the Linplus one (grub) is not allowing a good boot. That could either be an issue with the mount points in grub or a bad Linplus install. You could boot into the Windows recovery environment, then use BCDedit to add the Linux mount point to it. You might also think about reinstalling Linplus (or another flavor) to verify the install is good.