acer aspire tc-875 Should I get a adapter for my psu to connect my motherboard?

AxelAlem29
AxelAlem29 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

hi recently i got into pcs and wanted to upgrade my acer aspire tc-875, so I bought a thermatake 500w pcu. Once i got the pcu i noticed that it only has a 8 pin and a 24pin when my motherboard has a 24pin and 8pin power socket . My motherboard has 8pin and a 6 pin power socket. Should I get a 24 pin to a 6 pin power adapter? If so how can i find one? everytime i find one it says it’s compatible to different model or brand. Or should i return it and get a different psu? If so which one? (Sorry for so many questions)

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited June 2023

This post may help or confuse you.

I googled , a video n You Tube too but not in English.

• AxelAlem29

Tinkerer

yeah it did confuse me, so I would need to buy an adapter and have to rewire the pins so it’s compatible? is there like a tutorial for that?

• Larryodie

The post gave pictures and part numbers of an adapter.

You Tube has a video but not in English. There may be a way to translate ?

There may be more. GOOGLE is your best friend.

Have you talked to Thermlake support or gone to their support website ??

• AxelAlem29

Tinkerer

Can you send the YouTube video, and no I haven’t reached out to thematake about the situation.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Your Aspire TC-875 uses an ATX12VO power supply, so a standard supply will either not work or require a lot of modifications to the cabling. Assuming the Thermaltake model is a PS-SPD-0500NPCW-W you are somewhat in luck, because it uses a single rail for the 12V. Because of that you only need to convert the 24 pin connector to the six and four that your motherboard requires. You essentially take the 12V leads on the 24 pin, plus PS_On and associated grounds out to the two connectors. A potentially better solution if you only need 500W is to send the Thermaltake back and get an Acer ATX12VO replacement supply in the 500W size. They don't offer one specifically for the TC-875 but do for many other models.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    edited June 2023

Mr. Billsey has the answer, send it back and get the correct power supply

Here is their website, support and a chat line .

Good Luck,

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/

• AxelAlem29

Tinkerer

@billsey would I need to buy a adapter to convert the pin? and the ones circled are the ones I have to take out and put in it?

• AxelAlem29

Tinkerer

I would, but the replacement power supply that he's talking about does not have a PCI-e cable for a gpu that im trying to put on.

• AxelAlem29

Tinkerer

Hey, I just came across this adapter cable and I checked the reviews saying that its compatible for my motherboard. Would it be better for me to just buy this adapter or should i just try to convert it myself?

https://www.amazon.ca/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Motherboard-13-3-inch/dp/B08M5BZ6P8/ref%3Dcm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

You do not need the -12V and do need another ground. You should match each for the +12V lines with a ground line, and the PS_On with another ground. In addition your motherboard has an 8 pin connector for four more +12V and their grounds, #18 here (#4 is the six pin):

So make sure the PSU you choose has the 24 pin connector, with an adapter to go to the 6 pin socket like the one you show, plus either an 8 pin PCIe power connector or two 4 pin versions that can be ganged together for the eight, plus any connectors the GPU you wish to install needs. Likely any of the larger PSUs that do single rail designs for the 12V will have all those you need.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.