PCI Driver Updates and DMA Controller updates for Acer Aspire ES1-512

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer

Download, install and run iobit's Driver Booster freeware to see if it can pick up anything better online. Part of the problem is the Atom CPU motherboard which often struggles with loading all the drivers in later versions of 64-bit Win10.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd
    TechNerd Member Posts: 98 Troubleshooter

I will give it a go, but I already have Driver Booster on my computer and run it from time to time. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks.

• JackE

OK. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

Well I ran it and it said all drivers were up to date which clearly is not the case as the PCI, DMA Controller and 3 GPIO drivers are not so I think I will probably have to take it into a technician to look at.

Thanks anyway for all your help.😃

• JackE

Hold on! What problem are you having with the machine that isn't working. Forget Device Manager subfolder symbols. What isn't working for you on the machine? The touchpad? Any keyboard keys? The screen looks bad? The USB ports don't work? What isn't working besides fretting over Device Manager?

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

Well apart from those black screens popping up occasionally warning about system errors (a screen shot I posted above) and my websites in my browser freezing up occasionally when I am talking to someone on Facebook on video for about half an hour. When I close Facebook down I cannot then get the other web site tabs that are open to respond when I try to access them and end up having to turn off my computer on the power button as nothing is responding, so obviously something isn't right.

• TechNerd

I did run Driver Booster and it said all drivers are up to date so not quite sure where I go from here. I have to say I am really grateful for all the help you have given me.

• JackE

Well apart from those black screens popping up occasionally warning
    about system errors (a screen shot I posted above) and my websites in my
    browser freezing up occasionally when I am talking to someone on
    Facebook on video for about half an hour. When I close Facebook down I
    cannot then get the other web site tabs that are open to respond when I
    try to access them and end up having to turn off my computer on the
    power button as nothing is responding, so obviously something isn't
    right.

I'm talking about right now. Not occasionally as in the past. We've already taken care of the black screen updater2 popups. And installed the new chipset drivers. Have you had any black screen popups or freezing since we've done those things?

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

Once, a black screen popped up yesterday afternoon after I had done the updates but it was only on the screen for a second or two and wet off again and hasn't popped up since. Is there any truth in the fact that when laptops get to the age of mine, 8 yrs, then manufacturers refuse to support the software and drivers because they want you to buy a new laptop and therefore I probably won't be able to update the ones I still have marked yellow? I was told by an IT technician this a week or so ago and he advisesd me to buy a new computer because he said the processor is not powerful enough these days.

• JackE

IT technician > > said the processor is not powerful enough these days.

Momentary black screens during chipset updates are entirely normal. As I mentioned earlier, the Atom CPU is Intel's low-end entry-level CPU that struggles with later versions of Win10. So your IT technician is correct in that it's not only low-end CPU but also already a decade-old CPU design. However, the new chipset driver should also take care of the freezing problems.

At this point, the yellow symbols don't mean much except that the machine might have additional capabilities, such a mobile phone sim card, but simply not enough memory or CPU power to use it unless you're willing to give up other capabilities that you now may be using.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

That's very interesting to know Jack, I only use my laptop for surfing the net, streaming movies, emails etc. No gaming! So I think it might last me a while yet. When I look at the prices of new computers it makes my eyes water and I feel that many of the budget laptops don't offer what I have on my computer, like Optical Drive, 3 USB ports etc. I hate change anyway !

• JackE

Like floppy, tape & mechanical hard disk drives, optical drives are on the way out especially for laptops due to their power consumption, weight, bulk & mechanical fragility of the turntable & discs themselves. A single $20 USB3 stick from Walmart can now hold more content and deliver it faster than a 100 ordinary DVD discs.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd
    edited June 2023

I only use an Optical Drive for playing my movie DVDs bought over many years. Mine still about works (sometimes!) but I find it useful but I think I will have to buy a separate external DVD drive if I eventually purchase a new computer.

• JackE

I only use an Optical Drive for playing my movie DVDs bought over many years. > >I will have to buy a separate external DVD drive if I eventually purchase a new computer.

I know you hate change. But many things have changed for the better since the old days. You can now copy your entire DVD disc collection onto a single USB drive with DVD-to-USB drive software. Here's an example tutorial for you. 🙂 There are many options.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd
    edited June 2023

I didn't know that, thanks! We have over 400 DVD's taking up loads of room in the living room, if I could do that I could take loads of the stuff abroad with me when I visit my daughter and store the DVD's in our garage. Can you use a USB on a TV too to play the movies?

What really makes me angry though is the Government's determined agenda to make us recycle everything when the most expensive tech stuff and appliances we buy we are expected to dump every few years so manufacturers can keep getting their incredibly high profits, most of which is foreign owned.

TIA

• JackE

Can you use a USB on a TV too to play the movies?

Sure. Just about all smart TV sets have what is called a USB media player. Walmart has 32" TV set and USB player for $98usd.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

I have a smart TV here in the UK, so how do I find out if my TV has a USB media player? I know I have 2 HDMI ports but haven't seen a USB slot anywhere.

• JackE

What's the brand & model number of your TV set?

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd
    edited June 2023

It is a Samsung UHD TV 7 Series, Model No. UE43RU7100. Actually I have been having a good look at the back of the TV and it looks like we do have one USB socket, I didn't notice it because we have n Amazon Fire Stick plugged into it lol ! So could we replay movies off a USB stick or hard drive onto the TV set, presumably by picking up a different source?

TIA

• TechNerd

Just to update you on the transfer of DVD movies to USB subject, I did use a client website to transfer my movies to my hard drive and I did the first one, it took ages, kept pausing and eventually was done but when I went to watch it, the picture kept breaking up. I watched the Processor speed keep cycling up and down, mostly down and presume that my computer processor is not powerful enough to transfer the moves to my hard drive at a consistent speed so another idea unfortunately not viable for me.