Acer Aspire A315-23 (SNID:XXX) I wanted to upgrade the RAM

Options
Azures
Azures Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,
I wanted to upgrade the RAM. I bought 4GB RAM (Samsung M471A5244CB0-CWE), result: Black screen
Second 4GB (Hynix HMA851S6AFR6N-UHN0AC), result: black screen
What is happening?
[Edited the thread to add issue detail and to hide sensitive information]

Answers

• Azures

Tinkerer

Options

Here you can find photo of RAM modules.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,543 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023
    Options

First of all when you replace or install a DDR4 make sure you shut down your laptop completely and don't hibernate or use Fast Startup as that may leave the RAM modules charged. Secondly, always disconnect the battery cable from the motherboard whatever you plan to do inside (even cleaning the fan(s).

There is 4GB non-replaceable RAM soldered on the mainboard and you can add 4GB replaceable RAM on the mainboard in the free DDR4 slot to get Dual Channel mode (maximum clock speed): You need to replicate the soldered DDR4. This soldered DDR4 is invisible from the back as it is located under the keyboard, to find out the specs. so you can buy exactly the same module, run the Wmic command with the Command Prompt: wmic memorychip list full

Note that the latencies are not the same for those 2 modules CL 17 and 19 and they are 1Rx16 rank you may have 1Rx8 inside.

But before you can do that, take out the DDR4 module you have in the RAM slot now, plug-in your power adapter to the DC jacket of your laptop and make sure that the adapter is properly connected to a working electrical wall socket. See if you can boot. If you cannot boot there may be a hardware or firmware/BIOS issue. Tell us what you observe, are there any LED lights when the adapter is charging?

• Azures

Tinkerer

edited June 2023
    Options

Hello again, I used CPU-Z to check what kind oof ram is soldered.

I tried micron memory (please check model): without luck.

• Puraw
    edited June 2023
    Options

The DDR4 you bought has the same part number as CPU-Z so there should not be any issue. If you did not do this, I use WMIC to check soldered RAM, take out that Micron module you just bought and if you still can logon to Window run this in a Command prompt: wmic memorychip list full
    Check if the part number is the same as in CPU-Z (I am sure it will be). I suspect that you have a problem with the RAM slot or motherboard. Bring the laptop to Acer Services in your country.

• Azures

Tinkerer

Options

pleasepleasPleasPlease taka a look.Same part numer like from numer

• Puraw
    Options

Same results, my only comment is: For "TypeDetail"
    I get: Synchronous 128 (a515-54G with 4GB Hynix soldered)
    You get: Synchronous and Unbuffered (unregistered) 16512, but that does not matter.

Did you update your BIOS, if there is a newer version do that and try again that Micron module, make sure it is properly seated in the slot, wiggle it a bit, there may be a bad pin contact.

If still no results and you cannot upgrade your RAM you either try to live with 4GB or bring the laptop to Acer Services and ask them to check the slot, maybe replace the slot.

• Azures

Tinkerer

Options

Update: I have latest bios. Checked again all RAM modules→ I still have black screen+ working fan.

Idea: maybe I should try: https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct8g4sfs824a

What do you think? They have 2400MHz, and CAS=17

• Puraw
    Options

It will be the same results with the Crucial, the 3 different modules you tried should all have worked not BSODed.

IMO It is the AMD Athlon Silver 3050U or the Atom 3020e (or Ryzen 3/5 3250U/3500U), which processor do you have? post on the AMD forum about your RAM issue, include your exact AMD model: https://community.amd.com/
    AMD motherboards are finnicky and may have issues with that Micron DDR4 soldered inside but others on this forum upgraded the A315-23 successfully with Micron modules.

Did you try to Reset your BIOS?

• Azures

Tinkerer

edited June 2023
    Options

Processor:ryzen 3250U.

I loaded bios defaults, also I remove main battery connector and pressed reset button.

• Puraw
    Options

This is not a power issue but a problem with the soldered DDR4 and/or Ryzen 3, download free utility MemTest86, then run a full 4 pass scan with that to test your soldered RAM for physical errors. Your dilemma is that you cannot install a fresh DDR4 set (kit) because of the soldered DDR4 onboard.

You really should post on the AMD forum, like this post: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-3400g-crashes-when-adding-additional-8gb-ram/td-p/455943 The general consensus on this AMD forum is that Ryzen's have always been fickle when it comes to RAM😐️

• Azures

Tinkerer

edited June 2023
    Options

One more thing. Please datasheet of micron memory clock cycles (22-22-22). Soldered micron Ram have 17-17-17 (CPU-Z readings)

• Azures

Tinkerer

Options

MemTest86 result.

• Azures

Tinkerer

Options
  • Puraw
    Options