NITRO N50-620 what PCI Interface - Is SSD with Interface Gen 4 compatible to this PC's motherboard?

uzito2k2
uzito2k2 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hello,

I am going to buy a new SSD for my gaming PC N50-620 and I stumbled upon a good SSD in terms of quality - WD Black 1TB SN850X NVMe SSD. 🤩

What I am asking for is the PCI interface on the motherboard of my NITRO N50-620, I tried from many websites to find which Interface version it is. So far I was able to get this information - PCI Express 3.0 - so I am trying to confirm if that is really the truth. 😅
Because in this website https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/nitro-n50-620?form-factor(-)M.2%20(2280)(--)density-ssd(-)1TB(--)interface(-)NVMe%20(PCIe%20Gen%204%20x4)(--)interface(-)NVMe%20(PCIe%20Gen%203%20x4) , when I click on Upgradable SSD, they are listing some SSD's that are PCIe NVMe Gen 4 (For example: https://www.crucial.com/ssd/p5-plus/ct1000p5pssd8/ct21259461 with Interface - NVMe (PCIe Gen 4 x4))- in which case that would mean that the SSD I am trying to buy (WD BLACK 1TB SN850X SSD PCIe 4.0 x4 (NVMe)) is compatible? Or should I look for something else? 🙄🤔

NOTE (maybe unnecessary to this topic): My old SSD is https://www.amazon.ca/Hynix-256GB-BC711-3500MBs-HFM256GD3JX016N/dp/B0B8GZ8GTT - Gen 3.

Thank you guys for the help, in advance! I am really looking forward to your replies, since this is the only place I could be sure people would be able to answer me competently! 🙂

Also, I am attaching a picture of my System Information - If that would help.

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,428 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Yes, you can install a Gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD like WD SN850X and it will work because Gen 4 SSD is backward compatible with Gen 3 SSD capable motherboard, however, it will run at Gen 3 speeds only because of the motherboard restriction.

• papayatek
    papayatek Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Does the N50-620 have two m2 ssd slots? My N50-640 has two slots, one below the CPU which had the 256GB ssd that the system came with, the empty m2 slot is beside the ram slots. When I put in a new Corsair 1tb Gen 4 ssd into the empty m2 slot (next to the ram) I was not getting Gen 4 speed, but limited to gen 3. So I cloned the 256GB ssd (windows 11 installed) to my new 1tb Gen 4 ssd and put it into the m2 slot below the CPU and moved the 256GB ssd to the m2 slot next to the ram slots. Now I get Gen 4 speed for the Corsair 1tb Gen 4 ssd.

-So the m2 slot underneath the CPU is Gen 4 while the m2 slot next to the ram is Gen 3

• papayatek
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

You'll need a cloning app, there are several out there. Your Crucial ssd might come with its own cloning software. I followed this youtube video and it wasn't difficult:

-you'll be cloning ssd to ssd from inside your PC so you don't need a seperate USB ssd case

-since this is your first time cloning, DON't erase your 256gb ssd (with windows) after cloning yet. Run your cloned Crucial 1tb for a while and make sure everything is running smooth. If there are problems you can just pop your old 256gb (with windows) back in.

-There is an extra step that I needed to do at the end, that isn't shown in the youtube vid, which will probably apply to you too.

-When he gets to "EXTEND VOLUME" at the end, for me, I couldn't do it so simply because there was a RECOVERY partion between the C drive (with windows) and the empty space. looked like this:

C: (clone of your 256gb ssd) —- Recovery Partition —— empty space

-I needed to move the Recovery Partion to the right so it'll look like this:

C: (clone of your 256gb ssd)—-empty space —-Recovery Partition

You can then use "Extend Volume" to combine the C: and empty space and use your full 1tb

-I used this simple app to move the Recovery Partion to the right, just click and drag, simple as that:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html?from-free-v12120700

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,428 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Yes, you can install a Gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD like WD SN850X and it will work because Gen 4 SSD is backward compatible with Gen 3 SSD capable motherboard, however, it will run at Gen 3 speeds only because of the motherboard restriction.

• papayatek
    Answer ✓

Does the N50-620 have two m2 ssd slots? My N50-640 has two slots, one below the CPU which had the 256GB ssd that the system came with, the empty m2 slot is beside the ram slots. When I put in a new Corsair 1tb Gen 4 ssd into the empty m2 slot (next to the ram) I was not getting Gen 4 speed, but limited to gen 3. So I cloned the 256GB ssd (windows 11 installed) to my new 1tb Gen 4 ssd and put it into the m2 slot below the CPU and moved the 256GB ssd to the m2 slot next to the ram slots. Now I get Gen 4 speed for the Corsair 1tb Gen 4 ssd.

-So the m2 slot underneath the CPU is Gen 4 while the m2 slot next to the ram is Gen 3

• Solid state drive (SSD)•Two M.2 slots supporting Solid State Drives (SSD)
    • Support SSD in 256GB/512GB/1TB capacities

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • uzito2k2

Tinkerer

Thanks for the clarification! I thought so too, that's helpful!

• uzito2k2

Tinkerer

Yeah mine does, that's why I was like let me buy another one, since I only have one HDD which is from my old PC and my main SSD that my windows is on. To be honest, I did not know until I opened my box to clean it up earlier this week.

Thanks for the help! I'll do that too then! Awesome stuff!

Thank you guys so much!

• uzito2k2

Tinkerer

I am sorry for quoting you once again, but could you tell me how were you able to clone your Windows did you do it through the Acer Care Center → Recovery Management? Or did you do it through the windows settings - backup and restore (creating a system image)?

If it's not any of those, or it is, I'd be very glad If you'd able to clarify. Since that's what I want to do, but I am not familiar which is the best way so far. If not, thanks for this info, It actually means a lot!

Have a great week!

• papayatek
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

You'll need a cloning app, there are several out there. Your Crucial ssd might come with its own cloning software. I followed this youtube video and it wasn't difficult:

-you'll be cloning ssd to ssd from inside your PC so you don't need a seperate USB ssd case

-since this is your first time cloning, DON't erase your 256gb ssd (with windows) after cloning yet. Run your cloned Crucial 1tb for a while and make sure everything is running smooth. If there are problems you can just pop your old 256gb (with windows) back in.

-There is an extra step that I needed to do at the end, that isn't shown in the youtube vid, which will probably apply to you too.

-When he gets to "EXTEND VOLUME" at the end, for me, I couldn't do it so simply because there was a RECOVERY partion between the C drive (with windows) and the empty space. looked like this:

C: (clone of your 256gb ssd) —- Recovery Partition —— empty space

-I needed to move the Recovery Partion to the right so it'll look like this:

C: (clone of your 256gb ssd)—-empty space —-Recovery Partition

You can then use "Extend Volume" to combine the C: and empty space and use your full 1tb

-I used this simple app to move the Recovery Partion to the right, just click and drag, simple as that:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html?from-free-v12120700

• uzito2k2

Tinkerer

Thank you so much for the work you put in to formulate that comment as well as giving me a link to the video! It will be of great use for me! Also I am once again thankful for the previous answers to my question!

Have a wonderful day, papayatek.