PCI Driver Updates and DMA Controller updates for Acer Aspire ES1-512

TechNerd
TechNerd Member Posts: 98 Troubleshooter
edited May 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I have tried contacting Acer to get updates for this driver and the DMA Controller as below but as Acer have told me that they don't support my laptop which is a 2015 one I tried to update them manually but when I went to update from the "manufacturers" option under the PCI options when I clicked on Intel Celeron option under the manufacturers option I wasn't sure whether they were all for my Windows 64 system and a warning popped up telling me not to download unless I knew the source etc.

So I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas. This is a screen shot of the appropriate page:

Also is the System DMA Controller easy to update?

TIA🙂

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer

Go to this link. Download and install chipset and serial i/o drivers. Then post another full Device Manager screenshot as it automatically opens. Do not manually expand any folders

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd
    edited June 2023

Downloaded both those driver updates and this is the Device Manager Screen:

I did expand the folders at first and all the same drivers are still highlighted yellow !

Since writing the above, I have now had the following screen pop up !

TIA

• JackE

I did expand the folders at first > > >I have now had the following screen pop up !> > >

Open Control Panel. Click uninstall a program. Select DriverSetupUtility to uninstall if it exists in the programs list. Then open FileExplore and delete the sub-folder C : \Programdata\acer\updater2\ if it exists. Then open Device Manager again. Post another screenshot exactly how it opens without manually expanding any folder at first.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd
  • TechNerd

I found the "File Explorer" at the bottom left that you were talking about which I just thought was called the "Search Bar", and I pasted that folder and all it came up with is this:

So do I still go ahead and uninstall the driver setup utility programme? What then?

• JackE

No. That's a browser screen you posted. Not File Explorer. Enter "File Explorer" in search eyeglass in the bottom left tray. File Explorer should appear at the top of the menu. Click on it.

1. FileExplorer should open.
    2. In left pane expand Acer C.
    3. Then expand subfolder Programdata.
    4. Then expand subfolder Acer.
    5. Then right click subfolder Updater2.
    6. Then click delete in the menu that pops up.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd
    edited June 2023

Thanks, so I have now uninstalled the DriverUtilitySetUp Programme and deleted out the file under File Explorer. Here is a screen shot of the Device Manager without expanding the folders :

What next? By the way, I have restarted my computer and opened Device manager sub files and all the same ones are marked with yellow exclamation marks.

• JackE

You should not be getting the popup error anymore. Now go to this link and download and install the chipset and serial i/o drivers.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

Which set up application do I need for the Chipset? The driver set up app after extraction, or the chipset app setup before extraction of the driver files?

• JackE

Open FileExplorer again. Go to the folder that you unzipped the zipfile. Open a subfolder called Chip_Intel_10.1.1.1.8_W10x64. Simply couble click on setup.exe file.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

Don't have a subfolder called setup.exe, just have one called setup chipset inside the unzipped folder which is inside the "drivers" folder.

• JackE

NO!!

Setup.EXE is a file. Not a folder. Double-click on the setup.exe file in the Chipset_Intel_10.1.1.1.8_W10x64 folder. Not the drivers folder. Setup.exe may be labelled as simply "Setup" in on your FileExplorer. Double-click on setup to run the setup program.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

Right, I have done that, it was labelled "setup" bu when I started the setup it came up setup.exe, my apologies ! What next?

• JackE

Did you double-click on setup.exe yet? Or right click on it and choose open?

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

Double clicked on it and launched the setup and it downloaded.

• JackE

What do you mean by "downloaded"? It supposed to be a chipset driver installation. It shouldn't have to download anything. It supposed to automatically complete the installation without any error messages except maybe say installation complete or successful.

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd
    edited June 2023

There wasn't any error messages, I just clicked on the setup.exe file and it installed the chipset and said successfully installed at the end. Now I just have 3 drivers that are showing with yellow exclamation marks as in the screenshot below thanks to your help:

Any advice on how to update the GPIO Controllers? Also I have posted a screenshot of the properties and why the GPIO Controllers won't update below:

TIA

• TechNerd

By the way, I did try deleting out all those 3 GPIO Controllers in the hope that they would re-install on Restart but they came back in the same state.

Thanks Jack.

TIA

• JackE
    1. Did this laptop originally come with Win8x?
    2. Was the factory-installed BIOS firmware or menu changed in any way?

Jack E/NJ

• TechNerd

No it came with Windows 10 and the version was updated a couple of years back to 22H2 when I had a windows update problem and the technician said that Microsoft had stopped supporting my version of windows. The only change to the firmware is the one I was told to do above in the thread which I have done. I have put a screenshot of the System Info below:

I really do appreciate all the time you have given me to try to sort my problems. I am a lady of 73 and have struggled to sort these problems myself, even though I did use computers in the 80's, I started would you believe with an Remington typewriter in the 60's as a typist/secretary lol !😁

TIA