acer Nitro5 Display turns blank and keyboard stops working How can I fix this.

Lucksh
Lucksh Member Posts: 4 New User
edited May 2023 in Nitro Gaming

My acer Nitro5 is randomly turning off the display while working. Whenever this happens the keyboard lights also go off. The laptop continues to be in the ON state. If I connect an external monitor, then I am able to see the display (but still can't use the laptop keyboard). What have I checked till now - 1) I have ensured there is no magnet/smartwatch/phone near the laptop 2) Changed the power settings to Never Sleep/Never Turn off and power button/Lid settings to Do Nothing.

The display and keyboard come back after I close and reopen the lid.

Would anyone know what could be wrong. How can I fix this.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,528 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

I am assuming that nothing is connected to your laptop, except for the adapter plugged into the DC jack, no USB cooling pad, no USB mice/gadgets, nothing.

The fact that your external display works, and that the Windows system checked OK points to a hardware problem, possibly a loose keyboard cable or panel issue. I suggest bringing your laptop to Acer Services in your country for checking.

Answers

• Puraw
    edited May 2023

IMO, a driver issue, you can try to restore the system (Windows registry) to an earlier date.

To restore your system (this is not "Reset this PC"), type Create a restore point in the Search bar, enter and click on "System restore" at the top of that window and select a date before you had the problem. If you never made restore points you have to Reset This PC without losing your files.

After you are able to work again refresh the Windows system image with the DISM command. Go online and verify that Internet is working. Paste this line in the Command Prompt opened as administrator:

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Dism should complete successfully, if it stalls more than 30 minutes, abort with the Esc key and run again. Next paste this line in the same Command Prompt window: SFC /scannow

This takes about 30 minutes and may find corrupted files that are either repaired or not. Keep running SFC till you see "No integrity violation found".

• Lucksh

Thanks Puraw for your solution. I tried to open the Bios by pressing F12 when the system was starting. The next screen showed that windows was not properly loaded. I followed your suggestion and reset the laptop without deleting personal data. The reset completed successfully. Both the command prompt processes are completed - no integrity violations. It seemed like the issue is resolved as I was elaborating my response to you but it occurred again. I am yet to find out more about it.

• Lucksh

The problem continues to exist even after the reset is done. The screen and the keyboard of the laptop turn off randomly while working but the laptop continues to be in the ON state.

• Puraw
    Answer ✓

I am assuming that nothing is connected to your laptop, except for the adapter plugged into the DC jack, no USB cooling pad, no USB mice/gadgets, nothing.

The fact that your external display works, and that the Windows system checked OK points to a hardware problem, possibly a loose keyboard cable or panel issue. I suggest bringing your laptop to Acer Services in your country for checking.

• Lucksh

Hi Puraw, the problem is occurring without the accessories, will look for acer service center. Thanks for your kind help.

• Puraw