Acer aspire a314-32-c3x0 Does updating bios increase my RAM frequentcy?

AziXYuri
AziXYuri Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2023 in Aspire Laptops

My RAM currently run at 2400 Mhz 8 Gb dual channel ( 4gb on board + 4gb samsung sodimm). When i curiously check for bios update, it says "Support onboard RAM Micron 3200 8Gb (MT40A512M16LY-062E:E)." does it mean i can update the bios and run my ram at 3200 Mhz? (The samsung sodimm is originally 3200mhz). If yes, i only need to download the latest bios update Thank you in advance

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder

Usually not, it usually just makes it recognised, what's the model of the laptop and I will check to see 9f the service guide has been updated :)

• AziXYuri
    edited May 2023

Acer aspire a314-32-c3x0. That's what i thought as well, ain't no way the on board RAM from 2019 laptop is capable of reaching 3200Mhz. But if that's the case, what's this update for? Because first of all, the on board memory is 4gb that run at 2400Mhz, and it can't be changed (it can but is such a pain, even if i soldered the new one, the maximum memory is still 8gb total)

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder

Those BIOS notations by Acer refer to the DDR4 modules that will now be supported but the CPU clock speed will still be 2400 MHz in Dual Channel or 1300 MHz in Single Channel mode.

I don't know what you have running on your laptop but 8GB at 2400 MHz clock speed is what you will ever need in Windows10. Your Ram should never get above 4 GB unless you have all sorts of unnecessary apps and bloatware running. I have an a515-54G with 8GB on Windows11 22H2 with all the "Bells and Whistles" Adobe, Office, Hyper-V, etc., and never get above 4.5GB.

I suggest that you do some maintenance, update Windows10 and uninstall AV, all you need is Windows Defender😉

• Leostat

So what I think it is, is the memory controller can do ddr3 or ddr4, launched with DDR3L, and then the price of that will have shot up, so in the next production run, Acer would have used ddr4 and just patched the bios to recognise it

• AziXYuri

My laptop is running good despite 3+ years of insane gaming time. ssd, 8gb ram, and wifi 6E, today im still able to play Dota 2 with 30-45fps. With 2400mhz, it can reach 50 fps, but rarely. So that's why im just asking because maybe i can squeeze some more fps if i can increase the speed to 3200mhz. RAM usage is not a problem at all. Thank you though 🙏

• Leostat

I don't think it would I'm afraid! You running it in vulkan mode or DX11? it may be worth flicking between the two to see if one is slightly better :)