Error Message - The Directory Name is Invalid Is there an easy way to fix this issue Aspire TC-1760

markham
markham Member Posts: 6 New User

When i plug in my DVD/CD Driver via USB port i am getting same error message so unable to play cds or dvds. I have completed basic checks, using a different port and checking for driver updates, unistalling and reinstallling buit same message always appears? Could it be the DVD.CD Driver, it is brand new? Is there an easy way to fix this issue?

Any suggestions would be greatfully received for a non techy person

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 12,948 Trailblazer

Hi @markham please try these procedures:

I hope that when you plug in the drive it will be recognized in device manager, if this runs:

• Go to device manager - Open DCD/CD Drive - Properties - Right click on the drive - disable device - restart the computer
      Now, re-enable it and move the DVD to another port.

If this doesn't work, try this second method:

• Go to device manager - Open DCD/CD Drive - Properties - Right click on the drive - uninstall device - restart the computer
      Now try again.

Thank you.
    All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • markham
    edited May 2023

Thanks Alejandro_AC for your response, I have tried both those actions previouly and neither worked for me, the same issue still persists after completing these actions im afraid.

• Alejandro_AC

Sorry, try the following registry tweak then, although I'm not sure it will work since it's a USB device and not an ATAPI connection:

Right click on the Windows logo - Terminal (Admin)
    Type (or copy and paste):

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Reboot the system and check if the issue is resolved.

NOTE: What is the exact model of your computer and the version of Windows installed?

All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,828 Trailblazer

Did you try to boot while the empty DVD drive is connected to your USB 3.01 port maybe PnP will detect it.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Did the USB cable come with the unit or are using using your own cable, is it the USB 3 Cable ?

Also maybe the computer is too old for the new drive.

Computer Model #, WIndows Version and DVD Model ?

• markham

Hi All Thanks for feedback i can confirm the following

Its a ACER Aspire TC-1760 / Windows 11 & DVD/CD Driver is a Plug & Play Sandstrom so in thoery should just work when i use one of the ports in the baseunit of the PC. All was only purchased only a few weeks ago so is all brand new and using cables that came with the equipment.

I have tried to boot while dvd drive is empty but as soon as i put a cd into the driver i get the error message. Checking properties of the driver it says it is working ok . I have tried to check that drivers are upto date and it says yes. I dont think its the dvd driver but only help i got from currys knowhow team was return the driver and get a replacement which i will do but i really dont think its the driver causing the issue.

The ports within the desktop i am connecting the dvd driver to are working when i use for different purpose so i cant see that all those would be the issue.

• markham

@ Alejandro_AC i completed registry tweak you suggested but no change after i did that same error message as soon as i put a cd/dvd in the driver

• Alejandro_AC

What zone are you in and what zone has the Sandstrom configured?

• markham

Hi Alejandro_AC

The PC Time Zone is set as (UTC+00:00 Dublin,Edinburgh,Lisbon, London - with Region United Knigdom.

The Sandstrom is configured currently to Current DVD Region - Current Region - Region 2

So i think that should be ok.

On the PC settings there is an additional Time & Language - Language & Region option of "Region format" which has "Recommend" but has not been set as the country and region option has been set as United Kingdom already.

• markham

Quick Update whilst i am still getting the error message when i open Windows Media Player it will allow me to listen to the CD/DVD in the driver so it seems it must be a configuration setting issue somewhere. Most important thing is that driver is working and i can listen to music but obviously i still want to understand where the error message is coming from to resolve it.

• Alejandro_AC

Yes, I was referring to the region of the DVD, region 2 is correct in your case.