Specs and pics of additional HDD for TC-1760-UA92?

oldhard47
oldhard47 Member Posts: 4 New User

I just bought a TC-1760-UA92 but haven't received it yet. I want to immediately add a 6TB SATA HDD.

Where can I find a systems guide for my unit so I can figure out what to buy for this new desktop computer?

Does anyone have any pics of the inside of the case and some pointers to the bays and cable connectors that I'd use?

What cables (and miscellaneous hardware) will I likely need to buy for the new HDD (if they don't come with the desktop computer)?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer

Below is the TC-1760 Main-board Placement and the SATA data and power plugs from the PSU, the 3.5" drives nad the PSU.

• oldhard47

Thank you @StevenGen .

Some follow-up questions:

-Do you have a link to the system guide/owners manual?

-Will a 3.5" HDD fit the case? Do you have a pic of the case and the mounting position for an additional HDD? For the preferred mounting position, what length cables are needed?

-Do any of the needed hardware or cables come with my desktop/case?

-Anything else I need to know about a adding an additional HDD like "Seagate FireCuda HDD 8TB Internal Hard Drive HDD - 3.5 Inch CMR SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 256MB Cache 300TB/year with Rescue Services ST8000DX001)"?

• oldhard47

A few more follow-up questions:

Do I need an L-shaped end on one of the ends of the SATA signal cable?

Is it possible the existing power cable feeding the ODD has a second connector on it to power a second device?

Can anyone confirm that the SATA power cable I need to add an additional SATA drive is 50.U96D1.002? An ebay source for this cable is about $41 - wow! Any other sources?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023

The Aspire TC-1760 eManual is online so download it from there, just to let you know, there is no guide on adding SATA HDDs on the eManual just like there are no captions or a guide in the official Acer SG for the TC-1760 desktop, adding a HDD is a very simple task with the guides and diagrams that I’ve given you above, that is all that you need!

Adding a 3.5”/2.5” HDDs will fit into the spaces at the front of this desktop (the desktop has special allocated spaces for HDDs) and they are under the provided ODD drive of this desktop. All 3.5”/2.5” HDD have a standardised external size except for the higher and like the 6TB and higher HDDs as they are thicker in height like 26.11mm/1.028in and they also have standard spaced side mounting threaded caddy screw holes, so that they can be mounted into the HDD desktop caddy.

1. This is the 3.5” HDD 4TB Seagate Barracuda external size:

• Height (mm/in, max) - 20.20mm/0.795in
    • Width (mm/in, max) - 101.85mm/4.010in
    • Depth (mm/in, max) - 146.99mm/5.787in

2. With the cables measure the distance as these SATA data cables come in different lengths, their power cables come from the PSU which are made to fit and connect to the additional SATA 3.5”/2.5” mechanical or SSD drives

3. You don’t need an L Shaped plug for the SATA data cable

4. If you look at the mobo diagram that I’ve given you, at #6 on the mobo diagram there are 2x SATA_PWR1~2- SATA power connectors, you don’t need the ODDs extra power plug to be used only if you want to add 3x HDDs!

5. The extra ODD power cable is for an extra ODD drive or if you want a 3rd HDD, as you can buy a SATA power cord extension to lengthen that extra ODD power drive to for a 3rd HDD to put into the front caddy, they are very cheap on eBay like USD $4.00.

Adding SATA and M.2 SSD drives is a very simple task and if you have all the above components its very easy to do, especially on a desktop that you only have to undo a few screws to take the side panel off and get access to these drives.

• oldhard47

My TC-1760-UA92 arrived and I cracked the case.

The box comes with a 7.5" SATA signal cable and 4 HDD-to-caddy mounting screws and 4 rubber isolaters preinstalled in the caddy tray. Also, the box comes with a SATA power cable connector midway on the existing power cable between the motherboard and optical drive. Attached is a pic of the case (and the items I just mentioned).

Is there any reason to not use this existing SATA power cable to power my new 6TB HDD that I'll mount in the HDD1 caddy tray?

Is there any reason to not use the included 7.5" SATA III signal cable for my new 6TB HDD?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Nope, go ahead and use them as supplied. It's nice to see that they have been paying attention the last few years and are including pieces like that in with the system. For a while they were including them separately in the box, so they often got lost and before that they didn't include them at all. You actually have room for a second drive on that plate, mounted sideways from the first one, but I believe you would need a second SATA power cable to drive it, since the one they supplied has only the two power connectors.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • IanLatham962
    IanLatham962 Member Posts: 3 New User

Thank you for this thread. I've added a Samsung EVO 870 500 GB SSD to my new TC-1760-EB11 (Bought as an open box so the SSD was basically a freebie). The only thing I needed to buy were four screws as the 2 1/2" drive attached directly to the panel to improve heat dissipation. I looked as using a caddy but the best fit is without. Admittedly it's a small drive but it's securely mounted and the temperatures so fat have been consistent at around 30C.

• billsey

No problem, I'm glad it helped. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rambo23
    Rambo23 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

is there any way to mount a 6tb and above drive? I’m having trouble lining up the screw holes. At most I was only able to get 1-2 on the back . Tried using the side holes but they don’t line up either.

• billsey

@Rambo23 try placing the 2nd drive sideways under the shelf. The holes are setup for that.