X5 5G CPE: In the event of a power outage, this router is not power on automatically?

System
System Member Posts: 4,513 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: Next@Acer 2021: Predator Connect X5 5G CPE - Bring 5G home.

Answers

• koloseum1980
    koloseum1980 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I have a brand new router Predator Connect X5 5G CPE and I have one issue. In the event of a power outage, this router is not power on automatically like other devices on the market. This router must be powered on by pressing the physical button on the router. Is there an option for this to be fixed in the next firmware version so that the router automatically restarts after a power outage in the network?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

We haven't heard of any planned upgrades to the firmware, but then we likely wouldn't until Acer actually released something.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • koloseum1980
    koloseum1980 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 2022

If this issue with auto-on after a power outage will not be solved then this device is not worth even $ 1. I can't imagine a situation in which you are not able to get access to your home automation, cameras, etc. because this router does not start up after a power failure.

This problem should be resolved immediately!

Where is the best place to report this issue?

• billsey

We have asked for escalation to Acer, but haven't heard back yet. We might not hear anything until they release new firmware. I agree that any router need to recover to a powered on state after a power failure, but we don't have much control over Acer. :(

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • viktaZ
    viktaZ Member Posts: 1 New User

I have to agree with koloseum1980 here, I got a Predator X5 5g device and it doesn't turn on after a power failure, nor is it possible to turn it on in the system settings.

Given the price point of this device this is unacceptable. Please do add this feature in the firmware.

It is a router. It needs to power back on.

• billsey

It is apparently an issue with the hardware design of the power circuit. The switch itself needs to be pressed and no firmware changes can address that. :(

• koloseum19801
    koloseum19801 Member Posts: 1 New User
  • billsey

Yes, I was able to get a second hand response from Acer engineers, through the moderators here, on that.

• JohnHH
    JohnHH Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I have just discovered this issue today and I was badly surprised. I can't believe we have this kind of problem with THIS router.

Home automation and Security systems are badly compromised with this issue. We really need a solution very fast.

Thanks

• billsey

Unfortunately, there is no solution according to the Acer engineers. They completely bobbled the design when the made it so a hard press of the button is required to turn it on... :( Hopefully they will have learned their lesson and the next design will work correctly.

• JohnHH
    JohnHH Member Posts: 2 New User

I also think "that any router need to recover to a powered ON state after a power failure". Obviously.

And I understand that engineers made a design mistake on the power switch when they developed the Predator Connect X5 5G CPE. It unfortunately happens. Did they stop production of the actual product as it is still being sold all over ?

But now, many users need a good viable solution. The product to many as it stands is defective.

Which proactive corrective actions will ACER take on behalf of their customers ?

1. Offer a replacement unit for the actual customers ? An eventual V2 delivered asap ?
    2. Offer a reimbursement or credit so we can buy another router that works and restarts after a power outage ?
    3. Provide an external device that could help with this issue, such an UPS (uninterruptible power supply) - a possible solution ? But quite expensive.

There aren't many solutions but I would sincerely appreciate that the ACER support team officially communicates on this particular issue and not keep silent.

I hope another V2 unit is on the way so we can exchange the defective units. Really.

Do we need to communicate with ACER support ?

Or will they proactively and officially let us all know what ACER intends to do to correct the problem ?

Very best,

• WilliamLee
    WilliamLee Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello any update on this? This is a fatal design flaw and has already caused me problems. This router isn't cheap and should not have such a critical design error.

Sincerely,

William

• billsey

The situation hasn't changed, the hardware doesn't allow it.

• WilliamLee
    WilliamLee Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi

Thanks for the response.

I understand that, but assumed that Acer would send us a version that actually works as it should or something? Or do they not care?

If so, they just lost all respect and a customer for good. But again, guess they don't care.

They should hire someone like you. 😏

Sincerely,

William

• billsey

My guess is they will either have it fixed for future users with a new product, or they will decide the product line is causing more hassles than profits and not do another version. Existing customers will likely not get a fix at all. :(

• Tygrys
    Tygrys Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

That is a hardware "feature", not to be fixed with the software. The power does not reach the main system untill the button is pressed, so software can not do anything, as it is not started yet. You have to "push" the button somehow, ie. by an electronic circuit, or small Arduino based device. This will require soldering things to the board an will void warranty. I have put the router on the UPS and have no issues so far, but if someone thinks of the remote automation, then this device is not good for it. After all it is optimized for gaming, not other tasks.