Acer Aspire 3 A315-35-C6GV, no display if the other ram slot is occupied.

Kanbe613
Kanbe613 Member Posts: 3 New User

I baught an additional ram stick ddr4 2666mhz but everytime I put it on my ram slot when I start the laptop it shows nothing in screen but the power light is on. I tried switching the two and it shows the same result, no display. I tried putting the ram that I baught on the other laptop and it's working perfectly. I see no sign of physical damage in my ram slot and I know I put the ram correctly.

I tried putting the factory ram on the other slot and it also shows no display when starting the laptop. What seems to be the problem?

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The reason is that the TEAMGROUP 4GB DDR4-2666Mhz CL 19-19-19-43 is not a compatible ram for this laptop, you need to match the oem specs ram exactly by installing CPUz and look at the CL specs in CPUz Memory and in SPD get the Manufacturer and part number of the oem ram and either match that exactly or get a matching ram from the manufacturers that Acer uses in the below list. The fastest ram for your laptop is the DDR4-3200Mhz CL22. Do a Crucial System Scan as that is a good guide for more modern compatible ram for your laptop that Crucial guarantees to work.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 12,989 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

If only test 3 works, the memory is incompatible.
    Test 4 doesn't work because as you can see in the screenshot of the memory combinations, it can't work only with slot 2 occupied and slot 1 empty.
    The frequency is not a problem as long as the memory is compatible, if the memory is 3200 it can only work at a maximum of 2933 which is the frequency supported by the motherboard.
    Thank you.
    All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    edited April 2023

Hi @Kanbe613 It must be a memory that is incompatible with your computer, but first do the following tests and tell me, please:

-Test 1:
    slot 1 old memory
    slot 2 new memory
    Works?

-Test 2:
    slot 1 new memory
    slot 2 old memory
    Works?

-Test 3:
    slot 1 old memory
    slot 2 empty
    Works?

-Test 4:
    slot 1 new memory
    slot 2 empty
    Works?

According to the information that appears in the service manual, these are the characteristics of the modules that the equipment supports:

And as an example, these are the compatible modules according to the memory manufacturer Kingston:

https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/laptop/acer/aspire-3-a315-35-series/acer-aspire-3-a315-35-xxxx-laptop

Thank you.
    All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
  • Kanbe613

Hello thank you for answering.

Only test 3 works for me.

I tried inserting the old ram to slot 2 leaving the slot 1 vacant and it shows nothing just the same as the test 1, 2, and 4. I don't know if the slot 2 is faulty but this is the first time I open the laptop because it still has the seal on one of it's screws.

My old ram is 3200mhz my new ram is 2666mhz, I don't know if that is the problem but it works on other laptops.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The reason is that the TEAMGROUP 4GB DDR4-2666Mhz CL 19-19-19-43 is not a compatible ram for this laptop, you need to match the oem specs ram exactly by installing CPUz and look at the CL specs in CPUz Memory and in SPD get the Manufacturer and part number of the oem ram and either match that exactly or get a matching ram from the manufacturers that Acer uses in the below list. The fastest ram for your laptop is the DDR4-3200Mhz CL22. Do a Crucial System Scan as that is a good guide for more modern compatible ram for your laptop that Crucial guarantees to work.

• Kanbe613

But why is it when I tried to insert my old ram to slot 2 it still show no display when starting the laptop?

• Alejandro_AC
    Answer ✓

If only test 3 works, the memory is incompatible.
    Test 4 doesn't work because as you can see in the screenshot of the memory combinations, it can't work only with slot 2 occupied and slot 1 empty.
    The frequency is not a problem as long as the memory is compatible, if the memory is 3200 it can only work at a maximum of 2933 which is the frequency supported by the motherboard.
    Thank you.
    All the best.