Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57 No NitroSense, no CoolBoost, no fan control

Options
Lordubu
Lordubu Member Posts: 22 Networker
edited April 2023 in Nitro Gaming

My Acer Nitro 5 ((AN515-57/ N20C1) fans always work at very low speed, they are barely audible even if I put my ear against the computer case. If I tell the laptop to do something that generates heat (like copying several GB from one M2 to the other M2) the M2's heat up very fast (I monitor them with CrystalDiskInfo) and I need to stop regularly to let them cool off.
I tried installing NitroSense but it doesn't seem to appear anywhere or be "launchable". Pressing the dedicated Acer "N" button does nothing. I'm on Win10 but I tried both
Nitro Sense_Acer_3.01.3024_W10x64_A
and
Nitro Sense_Acer_3.01.3046_20220617_W11x64_A
The only place where NitroSense appears is on "Control Panel / Uninstall a program" where I can see a line that says "NitroSense Service". Other than that it is nowhere to be found.
I also installed QuickAcess but the menu shows very limited options with no CoolBoost (check screengrabs below).

Any ideas?
Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

What appears near the top of the Windows start menu when you type 'nitro' in search box?

Jack E/NJ

• Lordubu
    Options

"See web results". Which is odd because, as I said before, it does appear in "Control Panel / Uninstall a program"

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options

»»Which is odd because, as I said before, it does appear in "Control Panel / Uninstall a program"»»

So just see if it'll uninstall OK. Then re-install the update that @egydiocoelho posted

Jack E/NJ

• Lordubu
    edited April 2023
    Options

I have reinstalled NitroSense and the dedicated "N" button now works, and launches the NitroSense "thingy". CoolBoost still doesn't appear on Acer Quick Access though.
    What worries me is the temperature at which the factory M2 now runs.

• it is usually around 45ºC when the laptop is idle
    • if I transfer a mere 25GB of data between the new M2 and the factory-installed M2 it will transfer data at around 400 MB/s and the factory isntalled M2 will get to 65ºC while receiving those files
    • if I put the fans on MAX in NitroSense prior to transferring the 25 GB the temp will rise to 59º instead of 65º
      25GB is transfered in just over a minute, what will happen if I transfer 500GB?
      If I transfer the same 25GB with the factory-installed M2 as the "sender" and the new M2 as the receiver, the receiver M2's temp will not rise above 37ºC, but the "sender" (the factory installed M2) will still rise to 57ºC. Why does it heat up so much more than the other M2, regardless of whether it is the sender or the receiver?
      Conclusions:
    • there is something wrong with the temps of the factory-installed M2
    • I think these fans are fine tuned to cool the CPU and GPU, rather than the M2

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Change this key to 1: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\Quick Access

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Lordubu
    Options

It worked! CoolBoost now appears on the QuickAccess menu. You're a genius! How do you find these things?

Thanks.

• JackE
    Options

CoolBoost switch should appear in the upper right hand corner of NitroSense app with the fan speeds.

Jack E/NJ

• Lordubu
    Options
  • JackE
    Options

Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back.

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Why do I use the brain! Lol! Just kidding. I like to tinker a bit with Windows regedit. But I always know what I'm doing.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer