Crucial advertises DDR4 3200mhz ram as an upgrade for my g3 710 ur11

Options
zugie01
zugie01 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

every other ram I throw in runs at 2133mhz. I have been told no ram will go over 2133mhz in my system. I have a 6th gen system running an i5-6400. It is my understanding I cannot update the bios in my system past what was in there, and that I could not update the ram in my system as far as I have been told.. has there been bios updates for 6th gen systems of this product? and is Crucial lying that i can upgrade to their recommended 3200mhz system ram for this machine, and have it run at 3200mhz vs 2133mhz?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,119 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hi,

The frequency is limited to 2133MHz by the CPU, Crucial selling CPUs with higher frequencies and they are compatible but you won't be able to benefit the speeds because of the CPU limitation, BIOS update will not help in this case.

Intel® Core™ i5-6400 Processor

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Crucial always puts their more expansive memory at the top of the list, no matter how suitable it is. In this case, as suggested, the 3200 will work ... at 2133. It's actually a chipset limitation, not a CPU limitation.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.