TC-885-EB17 continuously beeping after cleaning

Hello, I have a TC-885-EB17 PC that has been used for long. Recently I had an inside cleaning, but afterwards, I found the machine becomes beeping all the time. Then I tried removing video module, and/or memory cards, to find out that if only one memory module is installed (either of the two slots, or either of my two 8G and 4G module), the beeping stops so the PC is fully functional.

I checked the User manual which does not have the info how to check beepings.

Since one slot works I could live with it, except it reduced total memory from 12G to 8G right now. I thought about ordering a 16G module (slot max) to install, but am afraid whether this increased memory size on the slot would cause beeping again. Returning of such parts is always tricky.

It worked before and I was not sure what I touched that caused this to happen. Any advise?

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

That's a strange one.

I'd try to reset the bios with the jumper wire .

• Simon2022
    Simon2022 Member Posts: 3 New User

I once recycled the BIOS battery, but didn't fix it. Or maybe I need to get into BIOS to do something or reinstall the BIOS. Thx.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

I don't think that you can reinstall a BIOS, just update or maybe a F9 will default it ? I'm not sure.

If you mean REPLACE the battery, I think that it must be removed for hours (with AC unplugged) to reset, but there should be a jumper.

Good Luck.

Also you may do a ALT F10 when booting and go thru the repair sequence in safe mode.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

A long, continuous beep when you try to turn it on is an indication of a memory error. Which slots are the memory sticks installed in and are you sure they are all fully seated?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Simon2022
    Simon2022 Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks to all helpful answers received although they did not directly resolve the problem. Yes, I tried numerous times back and forth to confirm that either slot with a firmly sit module can work properly, but only alone. I found this hard to understand too, if no circuits side has been damaged by accident during the cleaning --- such as a gate or something failed. Again, this is difficult to imagine how this happened.

I might want to play with the BIOS reset once I properly have backed up all files.