Motherboard upgrade Tc-780 NE

DariusBlack
DariusBlack Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have a tc-780 NE select i5 and I was wondering if it's possible (or worth it) to upgrade my motherboard?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The best way and the cheapest way to upgrade your TC-780 desktop from its i5-6400 CPU and to keep it OEM and to what Acer designed the motherboard aand all its drivers for, is to upgrade to what Acer fitted as its top spec for the TC-780 desktop which is to upgrade your i5-6400 cpu to the Intel Core i7 7700 3.6G 8M 2133 Quad Core 65W Kaby Lake cpu and then upgrade this desktops ram to its max total of 32GB using two DDR4-2666MHz 16GB modules of either the Hynix 16GB HMA82GU6MFR8N or Samsung 16GB M378A2K43BB1 type ram. and also, to upgrade to the LiteOn 300W (part #: DC.2201B.009 or DC.2201H.005) PSUs if you only have the 220W PSU so that you can upgrade to a better GPU that Acer fitted which was the NVIDIA GTX745 DDRIII 4GB or you can get a better GPU.

This is the best and cheapest way to upgrade your desktop as you only have to replace the CPU or GPU (if you are only using the integrated CPUs graphics) and add the 300W PSU, otherwise you will need to buy a new case, CPU, motherboard and PSU if you want to upgrade to a better GPU than the top OEM fitted Acer NVIDIA GTX745 DDRIII 4GB (that needs a suggested PSU of 250 W). The best way imo is for you to utilize the same components that you have and keep your desktop to Acer specs and use the upgraded OEM components that were designed for the TC-780 desktop by Acer which the upgrade will cost you around USD $375.00 this is for the CPU, RAM, NVIDIA GTX745 GPU and a 300W PSU total. Its up to you and your budget otherwise I would suggest that you buy a new desktop.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

OK, unless you are running graphics intensive applications 8GB should be fine. When you run either Performance Monitor or task Manager, do you tend to be using more than, say, 75% of the 8GB? If so then an upgrade to the memory is indicated. The SSD might be a little small, but it depends on how much storage you use. If you are filling up more than 50-70% of that is when you look at larger ones. I'll ask the moderators to edit that picture, to blank out the personal portions of the numbers. If you are gaming at all or running video or image manipulation apps then a GPU is the next step. I'd still hold off on the CPU upgrade unless you get a really good deal in an i7-7700 since it won't make all that much difference in system performance.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓

Yes, for 3D modeling you are going to want to run as high of memory as possible. Try it with the 16GB and if you see issues with swapping to disk then look into the 32GB upgrade instead.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The best way and the cheapest way to upgrade your TC-780 desktop from its i5-6400 CPU and to keep it OEM and to what Acer designed the motherboard aand all its drivers for, is to upgrade to what Acer fitted as its top spec for the TC-780 desktop which is to upgrade your i5-6400 cpu to the Intel Core i7 7700 3.6G 8M 2133 Quad Core 65W Kaby Lake cpu and then upgrade this desktops ram to its max total of 32GB using two DDR4-2666MHz 16GB modules of either the Hynix 16GB HMA82GU6MFR8N or Samsung 16GB M378A2K43BB1 type ram. and also, to upgrade to the LiteOn 300W (part #: DC.2201B.009 or DC.2201H.005) PSUs if you only have the 220W PSU so that you can upgrade to a better GPU that Acer fitted which was the NVIDIA GTX745 DDRIII 4GB or you can get a better GPU.

This is the best and cheapest way to upgrade your desktop as you only have to replace the CPU or GPU (if you are only using the integrated CPUs graphics) and add the 300W PSU, otherwise you will need to buy a new case, CPU, motherboard and PSU if you want to upgrade to a better GPU than the top OEM fitted Acer NVIDIA GTX745 DDRIII 4GB (that needs a suggested PSU of 250 W). The best way imo is for you to utilize the same components that you have and keep your desktop to Acer specs and use the upgraded OEM components that were designed for the TC-780 desktop by Acer which the upgrade will cost you around USD $375.00 this is for the CPU, RAM, NVIDIA GTX745 GPU and a 300W PSU total. Its up to you and your budget otherwise I would suggest that you buy a new desktop.

• DariusBlack

Tinkerer

If I were to go from the i5 7400 that I currently have to a i7 6700k would the CPU performance outweigh the drop in ram speed?

From about 2400mhz to 2133mhz.

• billsey
    edited December 2022

Nope, it would run slower than it does now. You would also have to revamp the cooling to handle the extra power the K chip requires.

• DariusBlack

Tinkerer

Ok thank you very much, what would you consider to be the best CPU upgrade? The i7-7700 and if I went with that would I need to upgrade the cooling as well or is that just if I get a K chip?

I'm mainly just looking around at my options as Im still very new to computers so I chose this computer as a starting point.

• billsey

The i7-7700 would give you a bit of an upgrade, the major difference is 8 threads instead of 4, but if you aren't running heavily multi-threaded applications, it likely won't be noticeable. The i7-7700 is a drop in replacement since it has the same TDP as the i5-7500. It's likely best to look at other upgrades first though. What do you have for system memory? What type and size of drive is installed? If it's a HDD do you have Optane memory in the M.2 slot? What type of applications are you running?

• DariusBlack

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

I currently have a 8gb ADATA 2400 for ram.

For storage I have a 256gb m.2 ssd.

So as far as I know it's pretty much bone stock at the moment.

I attached a picture of the model and serial numbers.

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive information]

• billsey
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

OK, unless you are running graphics intensive applications 8GB should be fine. When you run either Performance Monitor or task Manager, do you tend to be using more than, say, 75% of the 8GB? If so then an upgrade to the memory is indicated. The SSD might be a little small, but it depends on how much storage you use. If you are filling up more than 50-70% of that is when you look at larger ones. I'll ask the moderators to edit that picture, to blank out the personal portions of the numbers. If you are gaming at all or running video or image manipulation apps then a GPU is the next step. I'd still hold off on the CPU upgrade unless you get a really good deal in an i7-7700 since it won't make all that much difference in system performance.

• DariusBlack

Tinkerer

Ok I am mainly wanting to use this computer for light to moderate gaming and 3D modeling.

Also as a regular home office computer running the standard Microsoft office applications.

Since my last post I have gone and put in a 16gb set of Corsair vengeance, and a 1tb Samsung 870evo ssd.

My setp brother is sending me a 1050ti graphics card, which I know isn't the best but it's by far better than the integrated graphics.

• billsey
    Answer ✓

Yes, for 3D modeling you are going to want to run as high of memory as possible. Try it with the 16GB and if you see issues with swapping to disk then look into the 32GB upgrade instead.

• DariusBlack

Tinkerer

Ok thank you very much for all of the information you have given me I really do appreciate it.