Can someone help me with my hz? I can' find anything the monitor settings that changes it for ps5/pc

Okadn
Okadn Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Monitors

I just set up my ed240q monitor that is 165hz but it is staying on 60 hz. I've gone into my computer settings but it wont show anything above 60hz, and I cant find anything in the monitor settings that changes it for my ps5 or pc. Please help.

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Assuming your PC's GPU supports greater than 60Hz at certain resolutions for the HDMI or DisplayPort signal outputs,, go to this link to download and install the appropriate Win10 or Win11 driver along with the Display Widget app. Quite often a DisplayPort connection is needed to achieve higher refresh rates.

Jack E/NJ

• Okadn

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

ok one second

• Okadn

Tinkerer

How can i check if my gpu supports greater than 60hz? bc i have a pretty cheap and older pc. I was also wondering if the fact i have an adapter connected from the monitor to the pc affects it. I don't have an hdmi port on my pc so i got a hdmi to dvi adapter, if there's a chord that will support 144hz and goes from either display port to dvi or hdmi to dvi please link it.

• JackE

>>>bc i have a pretty cheap and older pc>>>

Could you perhaps reveal the older PC's brand and model number?

Jack E/NJ

• Okadn

Tinkerer

my cousin made it a couple years ago, but my graphics card is an amd 470

• Okadn

Tinkerer

I also only have a dvi port connected to my graphics card so im assuming I need a hdmi or displayport to dvi adapter that supports at least 120hz. If you know one please link it to me

• JackE

>>>my graphics card is an amd 470>>>I also only have a dvi port connected to my graphics card>>>

What AMD 470 model do you have? The AMD RX470 should at leaet have an HDMI port?

Jack E/NJ

• Okadn

Tinkerer

yeah i have the rx 470 but no hdmi port, i dont know if its my case or something because i don't even have an hdmi port above my graphics card either

• JackE

Please post a phone photo of the backside of your case if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Okadn

Tinkerer

would there be an hdmi slot behind the back of the case?

• JackE

>>>my cousin made it a couple years ago, but my graphics card is an amd 470>>>would there be an hdmi slot behind the back of the case?>>>

Possibly. That seems to be pretty old mainboard & case. if you can't find out from your cousin, then you'll have to open the case or peer in the openings with a flashlight to see if an HDMI or DisplayPort socket on the back of the card.

Jack E/NJ

• Okadn

Tinkerer

I couldn't see anything in there really so should i try to un screw everything on the back and looking for it, and after I do that should I just keep the back of it off and use the hdmi port if it there?

• JackE

The back cover doesn't come off. Screws must removed on the edges of the back to allow the sides & top to come off. You should NOT try to disassemble it before trying to contact your cousin.

Meanwhile, press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. Then expand Components folder in left pane. Then click on Display folder. Post screenshot of result.

Jack E/NJ

• Have you checked this setting yet?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Okadn

Tinkerer

if you have any recommendations for upgrades id also appreciate that. And I know this is kinda out there but my cousin passed away last year and I dont know anyone else that knows about this pc

• JackE

Sorry, you did not expand the components folder in msinfo32 in your screenshot. Please expand the components folder in the left pane. Then click on the Display subfolder. Post screenshot of the Display subfolder result.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Sorry to hear about your cousin.

OK, this looks like a budget RX-470 card with only 1GB dedicated RAM. The standard model has 4GB dedicated RAM. Probably made by AMD to another company's specifications. Possibly sold and re-labelled under another name. This might be why it only has one DVI port instead of an HDMI, DisplayPort or VGA port

I think you should remove the screws on the back that affix the case cover sides and top to the internal frame. After they are removed, you gently have to lift the cover so it releases from hidden cover tabs in slots on the bottom of the internal frame. The cover sides will then pop out. Then you gently lift up the sides in the back a little bit more. Then you can pull the whole case covers sides and top backward so it pulls away from the front of the frame.

Then check to make sure the HDMI port is not hidden from view. If it only has the DVI port, then I suggest upgrading the card to the standard RX-470 or RX-570 which are very reasonably priced.

Jack E/NJ

• Okadn

Tinkerer

• JackE

OK. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ