Where to find a rescue disk/files for Acer Aspire X3990 I want to rebuild from scratch but am stuck

Toller
Toller Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Acre X3900 has been wiped. I have Win 10 installation media but no Acer backup for all drivers. I want to rebuild from scratch but am stuck. Any help/advise welcome. Thank you.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder

@Toller this model doesn't have the driver for Windows 10. Also, somehow the drivers for this model on the support page are mostly gone.https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=Aspire%20X3990&filter=global_download&suggest=aspire%20x399;1

What drivers are you missing? I will try my best to find a suitable one for you.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Plug and Play should take care of most of them.

Some you may have to find by googling.

An ALT F10 at boot will get you the factory install version or https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Note the ALT F10 will work if the recovery partition has not been destroyed.

• Toller

Thanks for this.

I am stuck at win 10 install: "where do you want to install windows". I now cannot see any disks. At first i could see one disk 0 with 0 size.

I have tried to load drivers at this point thinking i have somehow lost the disk drivers. But cannot locate any drivers.

Using CMD I can see an X: drive with old windows on it. The system has a 1TB disk.

Really appreciate any help.

Many thanks, Bob

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder

@Toller go to this site: https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/acer/laptops-desktops/aspire-x3900/753, download this sata driver, extract it, and put the extracted folder in the Windows Installation USB. When you load the driver, navigate to that folder, "F6" folder, and choose either the x32 or x64 folder depending on the Windows 10 bit that you want to install.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Toller

Many thanks for your help so far. Downloaded the driver as directed.

I followed the disk driver advice. Got as far as the Win 10 installation "where do you want to install windows" screen.

Nothing appears on this screen.

I loaded the disk driver via load driver option.

The driver appeared ok on the screen and appeared to be scanning in but then up comes a message (warning triangle) "We could'nt find any drives. To get storage driver, click Load driver."

Is something else missing?

• Is sata mode set in bios to raid, ide or ahci?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

First of all, is your Aspire an X3900 or X3990? They are quite different... Can you show us pictures of the drive as shown in the BIOS, and also the Boot tab in the BIOS?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

OK, go to Advanced; Integrated Peripherals. I'm guessing the Onboard SATA Mode is set to RAID, change it to AHCI and your drive should show up when you get to that screen in the Windows installer.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.