4080 p05 640 upgrade question Will a splitter work or do I need a new psu?

Jimkelly1
Jimkelly1 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2022 in Predator Desktops

So I just purchased a 4080 and I noticed that the pcie cables from the power supply only have two six pins and the adapter for the GPU has three six pins. Will a splitter work or do I need a new psu?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

What is the exact RTX-4080 GPU that you have as the OEM PSU that the PO5-640s has is an 800W PSU that should power the RTX-4080 but, the minimum PSU for the RTX-4080 is the 750W so it could be that the Acer OEM PSU might have some problems with this new card and you might have to upgrade to what is recommended newest 1000W PSU type PSU that you wont have any problems with, as 800W is borderline for thsi very thirsty power GPU,

Also, plugging the 2x 8 pin cables provided by the PO5-640 PSU should work. Have you followed the guide and pushed both plugs all the way in and until you hear a clicking noise and the 8 pin plugs are fully inserted, as some people get way too excited and just plug these plugs carelessly and not fully in and also bent the cables with force and don't follow the instructions. If all this does not power the card onm then get an adaptor as an 800W PSU should power this GOU on.

Answers

• Jimkelly1

Correction 8 pins

• StevenGen

The RTX 4080 is a thirsty GPU that uses three eight-pin VGA connectors from the power supply which, mercifully, connects to an included 12-pin connect for the RTX 4080. These cards use the new 12+4 pin ATX 12VHPWR connector, which is rated for up to 600 W of power draw. An adapter cable from 3x PCIe 8-pin should be included (rated for up to 450 W). Of course, the 4x 8-pin to 16-pin adapter cables from RTX 4090 will also work with the RTX 4080, but the card won't need that much power.

• Jimkelly1

My question is a two cables that come out of the existing PSU have only two eight pin cables. So if I connect those two to the three pin adapter if there's one that's left open. I plugged them in in the GPU wouldn't work, would a splitter work or a just a new PSU

• StevenGen
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

What is the exact RTX-4080 GPU that you have as the OEM PSU that the PO5-640s has is an 800W PSU that should power the RTX-4080 but, the minimum PSU for the RTX-4080 is the 750W so it could be that the Acer OEM PSU might have some problems with this new card and you might have to upgrade to what is recommended newest 1000W PSU type PSU that you wont have any problems with, as 800W is borderline for thsi very thirsty power GPU,

Also, plugging the 2x 8 pin cables provided by the PO5-640 PSU should work. Have you followed the guide and pushed both plugs all the way in and until you hear a clicking noise and the 8 pin plugs are fully inserted, as some people get way too excited and just plug these plugs carelessly and not fully in and also bent the cables with force and don't follow the instructions. If all this does not power the card onm then get an adaptor as an 800W PSU should power this GOU on.