TravelMate TMB311-31-C10J ,Windows11 upgrade failed it seems not enough space to install Window11

Options
Villager57
Villager57 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa

I just bought a brand new TravelMate TMB311-31-C10J running on Windows 10. I know this is a last year model, but Acer indicated it is Windows 11 compatible and Health Check confirmed it is eligible for upgrade to Win 11. The only thing I've done on the computer is the Win 10 updates, changing Norton for Avast antivirus and downloading a VPN client (not active yet). In Windows update, I downloaded twice the Windows 11 upgrade, it went to "downloading 100%" before failing. I don't have the error number on hand, but it was something like 080001df and when I googled it, it seemed to be due to having not enough space to install Windows 11. The laptop is brand new (virtually empty, except for Windows 10). Also, I know this is not the biggest machine available and I am close to the minimum requirements, but I am above them as Acer and Health Check confirmed that model is Win11 compatible. It is not the end of the world, but since the computer is brand new and empty, it would be a good moment to upgrade before making a restore point and personalize everything in. Any idea on how to complete successfully that Windows 11 upgrade?

[Edited the thread to add  title issue detail]

Best Answer

• Villager57
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I performed a Full Factory Reset of Windows 10. It didn't worked with ALT + F10, but I did it by rebooting twice using the Power button. The menu display was a little different too, but contents was basically the same. I completed the full reset and I was offered to upgrade to Windows 11 as expected, but it remained on Windows 10. I had to go to Windows Update and then I successfully upgraded to Windows 11 OS this time. The computer needed about 6 hours to complete the tasks, but it is now done. Performances on startup and shut down are normal.

Villager57

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Options

Hello!!

@Villager57,

Sad to know that you have trouble upgrading the OS to Windows 11. I checked [https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/windows/windows-11-compatibility] & confirmed that your laptop is compatible for Windows 11 OS.

To resolve this issue, I recommend you to first perform Full Factory Reset of Windows 10 OS. Once the Reset is completed, when you do the initial setup, you will get prompt for upgrading OS. Follow the onscreen instructions and then upgrade OS. This should certainly work.

Click here to get instructions of performing Full Factory Reset of Windows 10 OS.

Hope this helps you in upgrading OS.

Regards,

Balatekie

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Villager57
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I performed a Full Factory Reset of Windows 10. It didn't worked with ALT + F10, but I did it by rebooting twice using the Power button. The menu display was a little different too, but contents was basically the same. I completed the full reset and I was offered to upgrade to Windows 11 as expected, but it remained on Windows 10. I had to go to Windows Update and then I successfully upgraded to Windows 11 OS this time. The computer needed about 6 hours to complete the tasks, but it is now done. Performances on startup and shut down are normal.

Villager57

• radarman999
    radarman999 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

The storage limit of 64GB does not allow for upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 unless all user files, most Windows Apps and user programs are uninstalled or delected. Any designer who plans a Windows capable computer with a limit of 64GB should be fired. Of course external flash drives or Microsoft OneDrive can be used, but that takes time. There is no information on how the internal storage can be increased and there is no technical statement that warns the buyer about that limitation. A poor choice for anyone to buy-waste of time and money.