Acer CP714-1WN-53M9 - Bluetooth turns off on lid close

Enjolras
Enjolras Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited October 2022 in Chromebooks

Hi.

I'm having an odd issue with my new Spin 714 - Bluetooth keeps turning off every time you close the lid.

If you lock the device manually, it's fine. If you shut down the device manually, it's fine. It only occurs if you close the lid - but if you do, it happens every single time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

[Thread was edited to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Change the power settings of "what happens when you close the lid" as changing it to nothing, will work, as you will need to setup the laptop (which consumes more power) to and like when you use an external monitor and an external keyboard and mouse, where the laptop is always on when the lid is closed but can be put into sleep with its power settings.

• Enjolras

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

Thanks, @StevenGen.

I appreciate your help, and realize now I should have been clearer, which is my fault.

What's happening is that Bluetooth is off when I re-open the lid. Which means two things:

1) I can't use my phone to login, and have to enter my password every time

2) I have to manually turn Bluetooth back on every single time

I want it to go into sleep when I close the lid. I just don't want Bluetooth to be turned off when I open the lid back up - which feels like a bug but maybe I'm missing something.

Any additional suggestions? Thanks again for the help.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

It usually take a while before the Bluetooth reconnect when waking from sleep. Is it just too slow or is it not coming back up at all?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • VikingMN
    VikingMN Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the exact same issue. It has nothing to do with taking awhile to reconnect when waking from sleep as bluetooth wasn't connected to anything when I close the lid. I simply want bluetooth to still be enabled when I wake up the Chromebook again. As Enjolras says, given bluetooth has for some reason been disabled when closing the lid you can't unlock the Chromebook with your phone and you have to manually re-enable bluetooth before you can connect any bluetooth device after waking the Chromebook.

• Enjolras

Tinkerer

@billsey - thanks for the suggestion.

As @VikingMN said, it's not a timed thing. I just tested it:

1) Starting state: Bluetooth is on

2) Close the lid

3) Open the lid

4) Bluetooth is off. Waiting doesn't have it re-enable.

5) Enter password. Bluetooth remains off, and remains off until manually re-enabled.

One small update: I noticed that when I open it, for a second or so the "click on your picture to login" is on (indicating a Bluetooth connection to the phone) - but then it turns off.

Again, feels like a bug, though if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Does anyone at Acer monitor these forums? Is there a way to ping them on this to bring it to their attention?

Thanks.

• Enjolras

Tinkerer

@Acer-Blayn @Acer-Jose - does anyone at Acer monitor these forums, or is there a better way to report the above bug somehow?

Appreciate being pointed in the right direction, thanks.

• Can you tell me the exact model of the computer and wireless network card? Example SP714-61NA and AC1550I.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey

No one at Acer monitors the forums, other than the moderators and they are mostly concerned with spam and community guidelines. You are talking about a software issue, really, and that's all handled by Google on the Chromebooks. Likely the best next step will be to contact them on their support forums.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Enjolras

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho - it's a CP714-1WN-53M9. Not exactly sure the wireless controller, but I think it's the Intel Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 01)

@billsey - thanks, I'll try posting on the Chromebook forum as well.

• Can you tell me the exact model that appears here?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Enjolras

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho - as it's not a Windows machine, there's no equivalent to that page in Chrome OS (that I know of).

If I do a search in chrome://system for "Network Controller", I get only one hit, which is what I shared above - the Intel Corporation Aler Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 01)

Thanks for the help!

• Enjolras

Tinkerer

That should have been "Alder Lake-P" - noticed there's a typo, missing the "d".

• billsey

I asked the moderators to move the thread, so we're in Chromebooks now. :) It should have an Intel AX211 WLAN chipset soldered to the MB. There are two antenna connectors on the MB, but no other repairable bits.

• Enjolras

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

Thanks, @billsey, for both getting the thread in the right place as well as the chipset info.

I posted on the Chrome OS boards, and they came back with "that shouldn't be happening, you should do a return." Meaning, they're saying it's a hardware issue.

Anyone have any opinions on whether it's actually a hardware issue? Never good when the hardware folks say it's a software issue, and the software folks says it's a hardware one. 😐️

I don't want to do a return through Acer if I'm going to get the exact same issue.

Does anyone else have a new Spin 714 where it's working, and they're not experiencing this problem? Would be helpful to know if it's a few cases like mine and @VikingMN, or if it's a global one.

Thanks.

• Can you tell me the full chromebook number? Example SP714-71-7890.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Enjolras

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho - it's a CP714-1WN-53M9.

Thanks.

• Did the same problem occur when updating chrome os?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Enjolras

Tinkerer

It does - I've updated the Chrome OS and am still experiencing the issue.

Thanks again for trying to help.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Feliperper
    Feliperper Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same issue with mine, bluetooth now shows as on for a second then turns it self of

@egydiocoelho O problema aqui é generalizado com esse modelo certeza, enquanto a propria Acer ou google nao resolverem o problema nao vai mudar nada. E se vc quer saber o modelo do meu é CP714-1WN-53M9