Aspire5 a515-54G very low System Sounds, how to update audio drivers

Puraw
Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,656 Trailblazer

After updating my Windows11 Home version to 22H2 build 22621.608 I am getting poor System Sound volume on my Aspire5 a515-54G, Music sound is very good (50% volume sounds great with the new Windows Media Player, streaming/video sound OK but with 75% volume) so I would like to update my drivers only to get much louder System Sounds (System Sound volume is set at 100%). My present RTK Audio driver (probably a Windows update) is dated 24/12/2019, 6.0.8865.1 (attached)

When checking the audio driver for my system and OS on the Acer Support website I see: Audio_Realtek_6.0.8865.1_W11x64 2021/10/20 which I downloaded, but all the Cabinet folders in the driver bundle are dated much older: 5/07/2019, July 5, 2019 (using Explorer)?

If I double click on Setup_Driver.cmd in one of the downloaded Acer driver folders I get attached message (Goto Windows store)!

My main present (working) RTK driver is RTKVHD64.sys 6.0.8865.1 (built by WinDDK, Windows Display Driver Kit??)

The Win64 folder from the downloaded Acer RTK driver set contains this same RTKVHD64.sys driver dated 26/12/2019 but that folder has no install.cmd or any setup.exe file. When I point W11 Device manager to this Acer driver set (Add driver) it states "No drivers"

When browsing the downloaded RTK driver package from Acer is see in the Realtek folder the folowing subfolders: extRTK,...APO, ...HSA, ..., RTKService_229 and RealtekSstPpDll_24, no idea what these folders are.

Since my sound system is jointly controled by MS(WDDK), Intel(Display sound) and RTK speaker drivers and my audio card is the very basic ALC255 chipset I wonder if I have reached the limit of my sound system and should completely forget about updating it before breaking things even more?

Comments welcome

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,859 Trailblazer

The Aspire 5 A515-54G is NOT a Hi-Fi giant and/or was ever designed to be so, if you want any sort of better and louder sound, fit external BT speakers with their own amps built in, as you will never ever get Hi Fi sound out of the speakers and hardware of the A515-54G. Leave all audio drivers alone (don't change them or upgrade them) as you will stuff things up, audio drivers in these new modern laptops audio are interconnected with Intel, Realtek and NVIDIA that your laptop has, and their updates need to be done accordingly and they are and have been updated with the new Win-11 version 22H2 build 22621.608. If you want a better and bigger sound, then buy/use a high-end noise cancelling BT headphone, which btw I use and I get excellent boosted and loud sound from the same audio hardware and specs that my AN515-56 has and is the same as your A515-54G which my laptop is definitely NOT or am I expecting to it to have a HI-Fi sound 😀.

• Puraw
    edited October 2022

I realize that and my BT and wired head sets all work fine (including System Sounds). I now think it has more to do with the Intel SST Audio Controller since MS reports issues with this driver after the latest update (11th gen. processor, mine is 10th). My system sounds were really loud before this update now inaudible with the RTK speakers.

• Puraw

Got it fixed, already several days without any Power Button issues: I uninstalled the Realtek Audio driver in "Sound video and games controller" Device Manager, did not tick the "Force driver" box. Rebooted and the System sounds came back on, not as loud as before but I tweaked that by reducing the new MS Media Player sound volume to 50% while increasing the general speaker volume controller to 73% on the task bar (notifications at the right). Almost the same sound as before the Windows update and online streaming/video sounds great too.😀