ACER Aspire desktop - 4 beeps on SHUTDOWN now won't boot

Options
TomkatDF2
TomkatDF2 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

On power up, the power light blinks for awhile before lighting steady. But NO beeps during power up. I've tried re-seating RAM with no success... any ideas?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,574 Trailblazer
    Options
    1. Remove all external devices including mouse dongle.
    2. Unplug charger and disconnect battery from mainboard. Replace bottom cover.
    3. Plug charger back in. Turn it on.
    4. If still nothing, reconnect battery. and remove RAM sodimm. Replace bottom cover or RAM door.
    5. Turn it on and immediately tap F2 to try to enter BIOS menu.
    6. If still no success, replace RAM sodimm and disconnect HDD or SSD. Replace bottom cover or HDD door.
    7. Turn it on and immediately tap F2 to try to enter BIOS menu.

Report back.

Jack E/NJ

• TomkatDF2
    Options

"disconnect battery" - I have a desktop, not a laptop. Are you referring to the CMOS battery?

• TomkatDF2
    Options

"disconnect battery" - I have a desktop, not a laptop. Are you referring to the CMOS battery?

• JackE
    Options

Sorry, what's the full desktop model number? For example TC-885? Meanwhile, can you access BIOS menu on startup by tapping ESC or DEL immediately after turning machine on?

Jack E/NJ

• TomkatDF2
    Options

I don't know the model number off the top of my head. The PC is in my car, ready to be looked at for repair, so I don't have any way to try ESC or DEL. I won't be able to until Monday.

• JackE
    Options

OK. I'll stand by.

Jack E/NJ

• TomkatDF2
    Options

I'll try the ESC or DEL immediately after power on, this evening. But I had an IT friend of mine take a look at it over the weekend, and 99.9% sure the motherboard was bricked due to a corrupt driver update. He disconnected everything but the CPU but couldn't even get it to boot to BIOS.

• JackE
    Options

The only kind of update that has a high risk of bricking is BIOS firmware. Rarely a device driver. What's the full desktop model number anyway? For example TC-885?

Jack E/NJ

• TomkatDF2
    Options

I ran Auslogics "driver updater" just before it happened. That's the only cause I can think of. Will get you the model number asap.

• TomkatDF2
    Options

It's am Acer TC-120 desktop

• JackE
    Options

Updater should've been OK unless you downloaded it from a dicey site. Why & what were you trying to update?

Jack E/NJ

• TomkatDF2
    Options

Got it straight from Auslogic. The utility indicated that some drivers were old... really old. I was just trying to get things updated.

• JackE
    Options

Yes. But why? Driver updates are primarily meant to fix problems. So what problems were the 'really old' drivers causing?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

And 'really old' drivers are 'really old' because they were working correctly. :) Updates typically are either to fix a problem or to add support for newer hardware within the same driver package...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TomkatDF2
    Options

I wad hoping for the "performance boost" promised by Auslogics. Lesson learned, I suppose.

• JackE
    Options

Only a BIOS firmware update has a significant risk of bricking the mainboard. Do you know what updates it was proposing to apply? Did the machine react badly before while loading the updater, during the update process or after the update process completed?

Jack E/NJ

• TomkatDF2
    Options

I don't remember exactly which updates. However it "bricked " AFTER I ran the utility. I have since bought a new motherboard and am back up and running

• JackE
    Options

>>>I have since bought a new motherboard and am back up and running>>>

Well, that's one sure-fire way of solving the problem. 🙂 Thanks for reporting back.

Jack E/NJ

• TomkatDF2
    Options

I'm 99.9% sure the old motherboard was bricked. My IT buddy disconnected everything but the CPU and it wouldn't even boot to BIOS.

• JackE
    Options

I doubt the updater was responsible. But a strange coincidence. Unless it tried to apply errant BIOS firmware.

Jack E/NJ