TMP246-M-3525 - RAM does not detect

Jirps333
Jirps333 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited September 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa

I have a very old laptop... TMP246-M-3525 with the specs with Intel Core i3-5005U 2GHz, and 4GB DDR3L-SDRAM running windows 8.1 Pro... i have inserted an additional ram (2GB got it from an old Sony VAIO Laptop)... in the task manager it only detects 4GB but in CPU-Z it says 6GB... how would i know that the ram is working or its not? see attached photo for reference...

[Thread was edited to include the topic issue]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,693 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The compatible ram for your laptop has to be DDR3L type ram. What is the exact spec of the 2GB ram is it DDR3 or DDR3L? These are the suggested memory specs for your TMP246-M-3525, keep to the specs and combos below and you should not have any problems.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,693 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The compatible ram for your laptop has to be DDR3L type ram. What is the exact spec of the 2GB ram is it DDR3 or DDR3L? These are the suggested memory specs for your TMP246-M-3525, keep to the specs and combos below and you should not have any problems.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

My guess is you have 4GB in slot 1 and 2GB in slot 2. Swap the two sticks to match the above table.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jirps333

I inserted DDR3 ram... Im not aware there are a lot of types of ram... Do i need to remove the ddr3? Omg... The laptop still boot and operational hehe. Can i ask? Where do i find the list of compatible rams like you posted? I need to search also for another machine.. These are the SPD Screenshot from CPUz

• Jirps333

I inserterted different type of ram... Im not aware that there is DDR3 and DDR3L... And how do i know if its slot 1 or 2?

• You can see from the CPUz what number slot these ram modules are inserted into, also match the slots #1 and 2 with the same spec ram that I've given you above that Acer fits to this laptop oem!

The 4GB ram that you have is the correct ram as its a DDR3L type ram and is the most suitable ram for your laptop, the 2GB ram is a different CL and spec ram and that is why you are having the frequencies problems, as both ram slots have to be filled with same spec ram to get the same speeds

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

DDR3 and DDR3L run using different voltages, so you shouldn't mix them in a system. I suggest you do as Steven says and get a DDR3L stick instead of the DDR3 you have.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.