Tc 885 gpu upgrade

DANeighty6
DANeighty6 Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Hi i have a tc 885 which i have already fitted a rear exhaust fan a larger arctic cpu cooler to cut the noise and temps down, also took a dremel to the front case below the dvd drive to give front air intake fan. it has a gtx 1650 currently on stock psu and has been running great for i think about a year.. (well since i posted about the cpu cooler) but now i want a better gpu and psu upgrade, im looking at a 650w atx psu and a rtx 2070 super. Is there any reason this wont work?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

>>>I really don't want to have to rip this card apart to replace the thermal paste as i do not wish to damage the thermal pads (i would have no clue which ones and size to order to replace them If damaged)>>>

Use the thinnest pad material you can get. It's really cheap. 1mm is the usual but 0.5mm is available too. But you really don't need a pad, just the thermal paste or thermal putty to get the best heat transfer from the cpu to the sink. I never use a pad.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>>im looking at a 650w atx psu >>>

Should fit and work fine with a 650w PSU since it peaks at about 140watts more than the 1650. Fairly svelte board. Only about 1.5" longer than the 1650. Same width. Almost same height. 

Jack E/NJ

• DANeighty6
    edited July 2022
    JackE said:
    >>>im looking at a 650w atx psu >>>

Should fit and work fine with a 650w PSU since it peaks at about 140watts more than the 1650. Fairly svelte board. Only about 1.5" longer than the 1650. Same width. Almost same height. 
    I'm sorry if i misunderstood, but you are saying the 650watt psu and rtx 2070super should work? 
    My 1650 is very small (single fan) so the rtx 2070 super is quite a lot larger but should still fit, my only worry in regards to fitment is there will be a very small gap between the fans and the bottom of the case, also the gap between the front of the case and the gpu will be small (but i have added front intake fan and exhaust to hopefully keep the gpu below 70c)

I would even be willing to cut some holes into the bottom of the case and raise it off the ground some to increase airflow if it isn't under 70c
  • JackE
    Yes. The 2070S is a fairly compact board even though it uses 140 watts more than the 1650. The 2070S is the exact same width and nearly the same height as the 1650. It's only about 1.5" longer. The 650watt PSU gives you the extra power needed to run it.
                  length         height        width
    2070S = 267 mm x 116 mm x 35 mm,
    1650   = 229 mm x 111 mm x 35 mm,

Jack E/NJ

• DANeighty6
    Ty man i will update when i get one fitted 🤞👍
  • JackE
    OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck. :)

Jack E/NJ

• DANeighty6
    edited July 2022
    JackE said:
    OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck. :)
    Ty man, unrelated issue, after upgrading my cpu cooler to arctic i13x the pc is much quieter and does run cooler however the stock fan profiles i find are lacking, e.g. my cpu will regularly go upto 90c before the cpu fan picks up to cool it down to 70s c.

How can i change this? I would prefer the cpu fan to ramp up if it gets to 80c rather than wait till 90c for example.

Stock bios i only see options for smart or not, if it is set to not smart they all (even intake and exhaust) run at 100% constant and smart it is only ramping up at 90c.
  • JackE
    If your AcerQuickAccess or AcerCareCenter apps don't have any fan control options, the easiest thing to try is 3rd party fan speed freeware like Spee dFa n.

Jack E/NJ

• DANeighty6
    JackE said:
    If your AcerQuickAccess or AcerCareCenter apps don't have any fan control options, the easiest thing to try is 3rd party fan speed freeware like Spee dFa n.
    Nothing in care centre and speedfan doesn't detect the fans.
  • JackE
    >>>Stock bios i only see options for smart or not, if it is set to not smart they all (even intake and exhaust) run at 100% constant and smart it is only ramping up at 90c.>>>
    >>>speedfan doesn't detect the fans.>>>

Either way? Disabled or Enabled SmartFan settings?

Jack E/NJ

• DANeighty6
    edited July 2022
    JackE said:
    >>>Stock bios i only see options for smart or not, if it is set to not smart they all (even intake and exhaust) run at 100% constant and smart it is only ramping up at 90c.>>>
    >>>speedfan doesn't detect the fans.>>>

Either way? Disabled or Enabled SmartFan settings?
    That is a good point, i haven't tried speedfan with it set to not SMART, i shall attempt. EDIT: doesn't show up in speed fan with it set to not smart either..
  • JackE
    There are a few other speed control freeware options that you might try both ways. https://techguided.com/best-fan-control-software/

Jack E/NJ

• DANeighty6
    edited August 2022

Ok so i managed to pick up an evga rtx 2070 super black for £230 and a 650w psu for £30 both used from ebay, performance is way better as expected but it can get up to 83°c doing a furmark gpu burn for just 10 mins.. the gpu is clean (no dust bunnies)

If i bought a new atx case will everything move over or are the motherboard mounting holes different? I believe i should be able to get extenders for the front i/o.

• DANeighty6
    edited August 2022

Ok it was worse than i thought temps after a 15 min furmark burn test got to 88°c was only using 85 % fan speed and the gpu thermal throttled, i used msi afterburner to change the fan profile so it gets 100% speed from 70°c + still went to 83°c but no thermal throttle this time but more noise.

Not sure to look for another case or just get a pcie riser to get the gpu out the case to see if thermals improve. (Maybe the gpu is dodgy?)

• DANeighty6

Got in touch with seller and he said underload it would be around 80°c for him and always was like that... Is furmark burn test unrealistically high in its load to compare to gaming perhaps?

Either way i have ordered a pci e x16 riser cable and will test with my gpu free of the case constraints.

I really don't want to have to rip this card apart to replace the thermal paste as i do not wish to damage the thermal pads (i would have no clue which ones and size to order to replace them If damaged)

• Nikola1700
    Nikola1700 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited August 2022

I dont think that it can work with the 650w and 2070 super

• DANeighty6

But it does, i have it working and performing fine, it is just temps are a little higher than i would like. But this is during a 100% load sustained. Gaming i do not imagine it would get quite as hot and would not be that hot constantly.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

>>>I really don't want to have to rip this card apart to replace the thermal paste as i do not wish to damage the thermal pads (i would have no clue which ones and size to order to replace them If damaged)>>>

Use the thinnest pad material you can get. It's really cheap. 1mm is the usual but 0.5mm is available too. But you really don't need a pad, just the thermal paste or thermal putty to get the best heat transfer from the cpu to the sink. I never use a pad.

Jack E/NJ

• DANeighty6

Hi jack i think she is sorted now since changing fan profile, hasn't touched over 70°c whilst gaming, doesnt even break 60°c whilst playing ms flight sim on high end preset. Fur mark gpu burn test must be way more intensive than regular gaming.

Absolutely love the setup now 👍

• JackE
    edited August 2022

>>>since changing fan profile, hasn't touched over 70°c>>>

Thanks for reporting back. But can you sorta reveal in 10 words or less precisely how you're changing profile? 🙂 In BIOS? Smartfan on/off? AcerCareCenter? 3rd party fan stuff?

Jack E/NJ

• DANeighty6