Windows key/button acting like its always pressed (Helios 300 PH315-52-78vl)

split
split Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited August 2022 in Predator Laptops

My laptop keyboard thinks the windows key/button is always pressed down but not physically, causing keystrokes not registering, even my mouse clicks and even external keyboard won't work.

Also when I try searching on the search bar, it would spam type "lllllllllllll" "rrrrrrrrrr" "/////////" "********", causing the computer to open File Explorer, Run, and even lock the screen.

I can hold down the windows key (on the laptop or external keyboard) to temporarily disable it and the keyboard and mouse clicks would work and I can type normally (while pressing down the win key).

Temporary fix I figured out is uninstalling the Standard PS/2 Keyboard driver (which is the laptop keyboard driver) on device manager and not restarting, instead shutting down the computer in order for windows not to reinstall the driver again. After uninstalling the driver, the issues would disappear but my laptop keyboard won't work because there is no driver. I can use my external keyboard normally and use the laptop that way.

There are cases where I would restart the laptop and windows will reinstall the Standard PS/2 Keyboard driver and everything goes back to normal and fixes it self. But after an hour or so the issues will return.

Here are things that I have already tried but does NOT work:

1. Plugging everything out and restarting the device.
  2. Battery power reset by holding the power button.
  3. Uninstalling all keyboard drivers and restarting the device.
  4. Trying keyboard troubleshooting on settings (windows does not detect any problems)
  5. All ease of access keyboard settings are off (Filter keys, sticky keys, etc)
  6. Restarting BIOS to default settings
  7. Updating Windows
  8. Opening in safe mode (keyboard still doesn't work)
  9. Updating keyboard drivers on device manager

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer

The keyboard connector probably has to be re-seated on the mainboard a few times to help clean its contacts. 10 screws and bottom covered must be removed to disconnect battery pack from mainboard and access the keyboard connector. If it is still under warranty, click this link, choose country where purchased, click support link near top of country page, enter your machine's serial number id (SNID) and arrange for warranty repair.

Jack E/NJ

• split

I've opened the laptop and re seated the keyboard connector a few times as you advised but still didn't work.

Also I did a full Windows reset and it fixed the problem but after 5 days a new problem raised. Now the power button thinks it's pressed down causing the laptop to turn on and off. I'm able to hold any F key and will disable the problem just like holding down the Windows key previously, but after letting go, the power button menu pops up and the computer will turn itself off.

I forgot to mention I updated the bios to 1.12 on July and the problems started happening on August. Could this be the problem?

• split

Also now when the laptop is plugged in to the charger, the charging light turns orange blinks blue then back to orange.

• JackE

You still have a keyboard connector issue. The reset was probably only a fluke and an indication that it's an intermittent connector problem. And now maybe a battery pack connector issue too. Try this.

1. Unplug charger.
    2. Open it back up again.
    3. Disconnect the battery pack from the mainboard.
    4. Repeatedly reseat the keyboard connector again. Do it a dozen times. If you can reach its contacts inside the keyboard connector and its mainboard socket, try to gently clean them with a cotton swab or Qtip slightly moistened with rubbing alcohol
    5. Before reconnecting the battery pack, press and hold the power button for about a minute.
    6. Then reconnect the battery pack. Maybe reseat it a dozen times too. Then button it back up.
    7. Plug charger back in BUT
    8. Do NOT try to turn it on until the battery charge LED has turned STEADY BLUE.

Jack E/NJ

• split

I tried reseating the keyboard connector multiple times and cleaned the connector pins and cable pins but its still having the power button problems.

Also tried what you advised on the battery. I reconnected the battery and closed the cover, plugged the charger and light starts with orange blinks blue and back to orange. Whenever I raise the lid of the laptop it turns on automatically and turns off immediately because of the power button issue.

I tested disconnecting the keyboard connector and plugging the charger and the light stays solid blue. Raising the lid wont turn on the laptop automatically because keyboard is disconnected. Now I think it is a keyboard hardware issue.

Do you think there's any issues with these pins?

• JackE

>>>Also tried what you advised on the battery. I reconnected the battery and closed the cover, plugged the charger and light starts with orange blinks blue and back to orange. Whenever I raise the lid of the laptop it turns on automatically>>>

With the keyboard connected and the lid kept shut so it doesn't turn on, does the battery LED ever turn from blinking orange to solid orange to solid blue over a period of about 4-5 hours.

Jack E/NJ

• Hi! I also have model PH315-52 with bios version 1.12 installed and this issue does not occur. So it's not a problem related to the bios version. Now, does your computer automatically shut down when you access the bios and leave the computer on for a few minutes?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • split

Okay so I used the laptop while the keyboard connector is disconnected for a while playing games then I saw your comment.

I shut down the computer, removed the battery, cleaned and reconnected the keyboard connector again, held down the power button for more than a minute, reconnected the battery, plugged the charger without opening the lid, the charging light was solid blue without opening the lid (waited for 30mins and it didn't blink once).

Opened the lid and it didn't turn itself on somehow, pressed the power button and it booted up normally but after a few minutes the power button menu popped back up signifying the problem still persists and I shut it down. Now closed the lid and the charging light is blue and every 15 secs blinks on and off (but never orange now).

I don't know if it's related but every time the laptop boots to desktop, the usb connected sound plays without connecting/disconnecting anything.

• JackE

>>>but after a few minutes the power button menu popped back up signifying the problem still persists and I shut it down.>>>

Exactly what did the power button menu pop up say?

Jack E/NJ

• split

This opens whenever the power button is pressed down and in my case it pops up even if I don't press anything.

• split

I am able to access the bios whenever I hold down F2 but once I let go of it will shut down.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • split

Yeah I think we've already concluded that's the issue.

• JackE

Shut it down again. Turn it on and immediately & repeatedly tap F2 key before the Acer logo appears. Don't hold F2 down.

Jack E/NJ

• split

If I don't hold F2 or any F key it will shut down. Again, the computer thinks the power button is pressed down at all times causing it to turn off and on even in BIOS, unless I hold down any key an F key or anyone on the top tow where the power button is.

• JackE

I'm still not convinced. And not sure of your response to this earlier question. With the keyboard connected and the lid kept shut so it doesn't turn on, does the battery LED ever turn to solid blue in the laptop OFF state.

Jack E/NJ

• split

Tested it again without opening the lid. The light goes from orange > blinks blue > back to orange

After an hour or so charging... the light becomes blue > turns off for a second > back to blue again. I left if charging overnight (8+ hours) and it's still doing it.

It never becomes solid blue, unless the keyboard is disconnected. If the keyboard is disconnected the light will be solid orange when it's charging and solid blue when full charged (just like normal).

• JackE

Battery seems to be another complication. Can you get the thing to run well/long enough post a battery report as follows?

(1) Search 'cmd' in Windows start menu.

(2) Right click command prompt near top of menu.

(3) Click run as administrator.

(4) Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport' at command prompt.

(5) Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer.

(6) Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser.

(7) Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Either your battery's internal charge controller or your Windows charge controller is messed up. Try this. Open Device Manager. Expand batteries folder. Right click and uninstall all the drivers you find in that folder. Exit Device Manager without re-installing anything. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn it on again. And re-run the battery report. The first part of the report is most useful.

Jack E/NJ