Restore Function Keys To Normal Behavior

JGSING
JGSING Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
My function keys are working as if the "Fn" key is pressed.

In other words:
If I press just F2 it toggles Airplane Mode.
If I press "Fn" + F2 it will start a file name rename (normal F2 functionality).

How do I return things to normal functionality, function keys work as normal, not extended?

Thanks,

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Which computer do you have? What keyboard is used on it? With laptops the keyboard function key behavior is often set in the BIOS, with desktops it's usually a key combination that toggles it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JGSING
    Thanks
    I was able to fix it from the BIOS.
    So weird that the defalt was set to non standard functionality.
  • billsey
    They default to media keys in most cases these days. Why would someone use their laptop for (horrors) productivity software instead of watching video and listening to music? :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OliLu
    OliLu Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello, can you explain how you did it ? Thanks a lot !

• JGSING

I don't understand why I have to do the job of Acer support. I guess they just don't care about their customers. It was their muddle headed thinking that caused the problem.

Here are the steps

Turn on your computer and immediately start pressing the F2 key multiple times. (locate it before you start because the marking on the key is very small).

Use the right cursor key to move the top menu highlight one step over to "Main".

Use the down cursor key to move down to "Function Key Behavior"

Press Enter

Use the up cursor key to move the highlight to "Function Key" (should be "Function Keys").

Hit enter to lock in that setting.

Press the "Esc" key.

Answer the Question, "Exit discarding changes" by using the right cursor key to move the highlight to "No" and press Enter.

Done

• billsey

Typically when you have the option set to your liking you do an F10 to get the save and exit prompt, then choose yes to save the changes and exit the BIOS. Esc defaults to exiting without saving the changes you made, hence the need to choose the non-default to that request.

• TrucMuche
    TrucMuche Member Posts: 3 New User

Does not work on Aspire TC 1760

There is no “function key behavior” in the BIOS

Another solution except buy a new kwyboard?

• billsey

Did the keyboard itself come with any documentation or drivers? Typically that's a thing for laptops, not desktops.