Acer Spin 513 cp513-1H-S60F USB C Video problem

paulsiu
paulsiu Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Chromebooks
I am using Acer Spin 513 model cp513-1H-S60F. There are 2 USB port on this machine, one on each side of the chromebook. I have attached a powered Anker USB C hub that has a HDMI output. What I have notice is that if I attached the hub to the right side USB C, I get a video on external monitor, but if I connect it to the left side USB C port, it does not. Both port has the video output icon, which would indicate video support, but only the right-side usb-C port works. Is this a hardware issue? I have two Spin 513, and they both have this issue.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Do both C-ports function with other non-video C devices or the C charger?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Spec says both sides support DP Alt Mode, so both should work.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • paulsiu

Tinkerer

Ok, I downloaded the manual. It indicated that both side support video out and both side has the monitor icon. However, video out only works on the right side. Charging however works on both side with the stock charger at least.

I have 2 of the same model and both have exactly the same issue.
  • JackE
    Do you have any other USBC-devices other than charger input & video output that you could test the left port?  Or better yet a USBC-to-USBA adapter so that you could test operation of other I/O devices like an ordinary USB thumbdrive.

Jack E/NJ

• paulsiu

Tinkerer

Yes, the left will connect to my USB drive and my Yubkey as well as power. The monitor only works on the right side.
  • JackE
    Seems like a garden variety USB-C data-only port with charging but NO native alternate-mode video output. Accordingly, the left USB-C port neither seems to be as advertised nor as described in the manuals. If I had purchased these machines based on both USB-C ports having native video output support,  I'd immediately return them to the vendor as unacceptable or defective for refund before the vendor's return merchandise authorization (RMA) period ends. Usually only a few weeks.

Jack E/NJ

• paulsiu

Tinkerer

I was hoping that someone with this model encounter or not encountered this issue. I might also try resetting the machine and seeing if it will fix the issue.
  • JackE
    You've got two of them with the same issue. Try an erase everything factory re-set pronto to see if they'll work. Just don't let the vendor's RMA period expire while trying to get it resolved. Because dealing with a warranty fix will take longer, likely involve more hassles and frankly I feel a mistake might've made with the claims in the manuals.

Jack E/NJ

• paulsiu

Tinkerer

I powerwash the laptop, but it did not resolved the issue. Will contact Acer.
  • JackE
    OK. Please let us know how it's handled. But don't let the seller's RMA period expire if you can't get a quick resolution. It'll probably be easier to get a refund especially if shipping them to a service center is required.

Jack E/NJ

• Pssst3
    Pssst3 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    USB C cables are not passive, they have circuitry in them and the circuits that they work with are fussy about having the right loading.  One port might be marginal for use with a slightly out of spec cable.   Try using a certified cable.