Built in Debian Linux

Options
padgett
padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
I just noticed that my Chromebooks now have Debian Linux installable. To find go to SETTINGs and write "Linux" in the search box. See if it is available for installation. Still playing with mine but wonder if ChromeOS is going to open up for Linux apps (many). Anyone else have this ?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    There have been a few people here with questions about the Debian compatibility, it sounds like they were running Linux commands and apps via the Debian support, it wasn't a whole Linux OS install.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • IronRod
    IronRod Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    Options
    The Linux on ChromeOS creates a VM and installs Debian distro.  It functions pretty much like a standard Linux install but it is somewhat slower due to being a VM under ChromeOS.  I've thought about just installing Linux to replace ChromeOS but trying this as an alternative or maybe just a first step toward the eventual replacement.

Acer CB515-1HT; ChromeOS 96.0.4664.111 (Official Build) (64-bit); Linux 5.4.151-16908 Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options
    Pretty sure I had somethiing different, more of a dual boot (cntrl-E ?) was a while ago, machine was new and just was notified that support is ending in June 22.