ACER A515-44 if battery is below 40% and plugged in dramatic CPU and performance throttling.

Options
AtomicHobo
AtomicHobo Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2021 in Aspire Laptops
ACER A515-44 if battery is below 40% and plugged in dramatic CPU and performance throttling. If I then unplug it, the performance returns.
I've already spoken with Acer support who claim a few things; It's working as intended, it's an OS issue or I don't understand how power saving works.
<Having spoken to two other technical agents, one said it is possible that this is how your device is suppose to work, that the settings adjust at 40%.  Another said he knows of a laptop that could change the power performance via creating a High Performance Plan to adjust the performance, but he also knows of another laptop that was unable to adjust the performance with creating a High Performance plan.>
I have already tried the following:
  • changed power plan
  • created new power plan
  • update all drivers
  • updated AMD drivers
  • reset the laptop and reinstalled windows using the rescue partition
  • tried the battery reset - the little pinhole next to battery housing
  • purchased a higher output charger to see if that helped - it didn't make a difference
More information on the performance hit. If I am playing Minecraft, I can noticeably see a drop in frame rate (144+ to approx 25 fps) when the battery is below 40% AND plugged in charging. The CPU maxes out at approx 1.25hz. If I remove the charger, the CPU usage goes back up to full speed and performance returns to max fps in Minecraft and lagging disappears.

Comments

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @AtomicHobo,

Is the issue return again.
  • AtomicHobo

Tinkerer

edited October 2021
    Options
    Do you mean if its still an issue then yes, yes it is and has been since we got the laptop. 
  • AtomicHobo

Tinkerer

edited October 2021
    Options
    Uploaded screenshots showing how the battery behaves when unplugged/plugged in. 

• AtomicHobo

Tinkerer

Options
    So I've manage to fix my own issue. No thanks to ACER support or CURRYS where I purchased it.
    Using a 90w charger removes the bottleneck when charging. Perhaps ACER should consider including a more powerful charger than the 45W.
    Thanks for nothing and now I'm out of pocket, but hopefully someone else will see this.
  • JustAName33
    JustAName33 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    So I've manage to fix my own issue. No thanks to ACER support or CURRYS where I purchased it.
    Using a 90w charger removes the bottleneck when charging. Perhaps ACER should consider including a more powerful charger than the 45W.
    Thanks for nothing and now I'm out of pocket, but hopefully someone else will see this.
    Thanks for sharing the solution. I have the same issue with my laptop. And if may i ask, what type of the 90w charger? Is it a charger from another Acer laptop or universal laptop charger that i can find on online marketplace?
  • AtomicHobo

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for sharing the solution. I have the same issue with my laptop. And if may i ask, what type of the 90w charger? Is it a charger from another Acer laptop or universal laptop charger that i can find on online marketplace?
    I bought one off Amazon which did the trick. I will avoid Acer in future.