Anybody have a514-54g that having power limit throttle? And how do I fix it?

stone78971
stone78971 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I just bought aspire 5 a514-54g, i usually use it for normal stuff like web browser, and typing. Since I see that mx 350 can run it witcher 3 i try to play it, and surprisingly it can, it run at 60 fps. But suddenly the fps is fluctuated from 60 go to 30 or 20 and go back to 60 constantly, with high gpu usage and temp around 60 degree. When i search online turns out it power throttling, did anyone experiencing this? and how do i fix it?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Battery must be near 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting heavy gaming load for maximum play time. Under high power demand the battery must help the charger and thus is actually draining. When the battery charge level drops below about 50%, charging it takes precedent over CPU/GPU power demand and throttling starts to happen. When battery reaches above 50% charge level, throttling may intermittently disappear and reappear as the battery charge level fluctuates above and below 50% charge level. At that point, it's best to stop playing and allow the battery  to fully charge again.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Battery must be near 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting heavy gaming load for maximum play time. Under high power demand the battery must help the charger and thus is actually draining. When the battery charge level drops below about 50%, charging it takes precedent over CPU/GPU power demand and throttling starts to happen. When battery reaches above 50% charge level, throttling may intermittently disappear and reappear as the battery charge level fluctuates above and below 50% charge level. At that point, it's best to stop playing and allow the battery  to fully charge again.

Jack E/NJ

• stone78971

Tinkerer

Thanks bro ;)
  • Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @stone78971
     Please tell us once the issue is fixed. 
  • stone78971

Tinkerer

Hi @stone78971
     Please tell us once the issue is fixed. 
    yeah, its fixed now
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    stone78971,

May I know how you fixed the issue? If you share the info it will be useful to many users.
  • Unkn
    Unkn Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    please share bruh
  • JackE
    Please check solution.

Jack E/NJ

• stone78971

Tinkerer

Unkn said:
    please share bruh
    well, the solution above solved my problem, but if u still having problem u can turn off the power limit by disabled it from gpedit, it will increase the power for the cpu to take in. If u have problem in ur vga like it's holding off, u can disable the temp limit using an app like asus gpu tweak, for me i use asus gpu tweak to increase my vga temp limit, BUT I WARNING YOU, use it on your own responsibility, because it will literally increase the heat. I recommend after increasing vga temp limit u should reconsider about cooling. 
  • Unkn
    gpedit and high performance power plan are disabled on this laptop
  • stone78971

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    stone78971,

May I know how you fixed the issue? If you share the info it will be useful to many users.
    well, i used the solution above and also I use gpedit to disable the power limit for my cpu and asus gpu tweak to increasing my vga temp limit, the reason i increase vga temp limit is because the limit is around 50 or 60 degree and i increase it to the max my vga can handle which is 98 degree. but it's all balanced by a good cooler
  • stone78971

Tinkerer

Unkn said:
    u can search it at google to enable it, its simple as also to how disable it by search it at google. i like to share a link to ease u but i the reply would take a long time
  • stone78971

Tinkerer

Unkn said:
    u can check this link (https://winaero.com/enable-gpedit-msc-group-policy-in-windows-10-home/) it's the same as windows 11, if u use windows 11. check here for disable it using group policy editor a.k.a gpedit (https://winaero.com/disable-power-throttling-windows-10-1709/). For the high performance mode, in windows 11 go settings and go to power and battery and then power mode
  • Unkn
    did it solved your problem? and my power throttle is in cpu 
  • Unkn
    wait btw if i will update to windows 11 ? i did once but people said performance issue so i degraded. should i upgrade and then enable what are u saying 
  • stone78971

Tinkerer

Unkn said:
    did it solved your problem? and my power throttle is in cpu 
    yes it is, so far i dont have any problem regarding to power throttle
  • stone78971

Tinkerer

Unkn said:
    wait btw if i will update to windows 11 ? i did once but people said performance issue so i degraded. should i upgrade and then enable what are u saying 
    well, i use windows 11 when the update come to my laptop, and i dont experience any performance issue since i update it
  • Unkn
    shall i do it too? say in ur experience. ive did once but reverted back in this laptop 
  • stone78971

Tinkerer

Unkn said:
    shall i do it too? say in ur experience. ive did once but reverted back in this laptop 
    Well, it depends on you btw, as long u comfortable with windows 11 it's find, but for me either windows 10 or 11 they pretty much the same for me. the reason i upgrade it is because i like windows 11 ui, that's all
  • Unkn
    peformance issue?
  • Unkn
    For now i've disabled the mx350 and mf my cpu temp dropped to 32