Intel Optane compatability - Acer Swift 3 SF314-52

Options
gamfrei
gamfrei Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2019 in Swift and Spin Series
Recently I bought Acer Swift 3 SF314-52 model with 256GB SSD. It comes with one empty PCIe slot. Long story short, I decided to install Intel Optane M10 module in that slot, but system didn't detect it at all. Is this particular model Intel Optane M10 series compatible? The laptop has Intel i3 7130u cpu which is Optane compatible. Has anyone tried installing Optane module on any Acer laptop?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,528 Trailblazer
    Options
    The optane memory is designed to help improve performance of a mechanical drive, not an SSD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ivan9
    Ivan9 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hey, I have the same laptop and want to get the same Optane drive working (to use for pagefile.) It's not showing up in the BIOS. Does the second slot even support NVME?

Also, there is no option in the (latest 1.09) BIOS to change the SATA mode, even with ctrl+s (weird that it's even there, maybe indicates that the second port is sata only?). Intel RST drivers from the laptop's driver page also don't install due to a compatibility error.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,528 Trailblazer
    Options
    Mode set AHCI. This model has two m.2 sockets. One SATA3 card. One NVME card. It might also have an emmc boot chip. Optane not used for SSDs 

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    There are two M.2 slots in the SF314-52 models, and only one of them supports the NVMe x4 needed for Optane. The other one supports a SATA M.2 drive. The pagefile in the system partition is going to be running at the full speed an Optane module could provide, so there's no performance gain from having an Optane drive on a system that already has an NVMe x4 drive wit the system on it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.